so what groupsets do you avoid on your builds?

Black LX can look great on the right bike

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82119

30012010225_large_365.jpg

i miss this one

drystonepaul":2nlv8mb8 said:
DX is still my favourite groupset.

Mine too! Polishes up nicely, works well, not expensive.... Maybe a bit heavier than XT (never compared though) but tough and good looking at the same time.

I never understand the XT thumshifter thing - the DX ones are miles better as the clamp can be easily resprayed and the XT clamp is very fragile IME.

"do quite like the black LX groupsets, especially the first M560 one from 1993. The problem I find, in terms of collecting them, is the number of subtle variations between 1993 and 1999 when it changed to the horrible blueish M570 edition. "

Right on Sir!

M56* hung on Titanium... :D

I have XTR, XT and black LX 560 on my bikes. Operationally there is little or nothing between them but the best looking one is the black LX and for that reason my next build, a 94 Cindercone, is going to have my spare black LX groupset.

There is no groupset I wouldn't use, depending on the bike. For example I would use a shimano no-name or 100GS/Altus on a Raleigh Activator (yes we still get those at our re-cycling workshop). On a Merlin (we don't get those) I might go something even better than 200GS. ;)

I actually like the black lx group, and stx rc. I like dx too, though it probably won't go on any of my bikes as its a touch more awkward to find than other groups.
Lx or xt , or a mix of these would probably be my standard choices.

I'm not against suntour. I really liked xc comp and pro though admittedly the shifts on their casettes were never quite as smooth as shimano. Their hubs were good though, as were the pedals, cranks and the brakes. Xc comp and pro brake levers were some of the comfiest lightest brake levers ever designed for cantis (without going into the boutique realm).

Campag looks nice but just attracts too high prices for me ever to own any. I do think the Euclid and Centaur groupsets liked amazing. Shame the performance was not quite up there with shimano or suntour.

Sram is more or less banned from my bikes, except for their (modern) cassettes and chains. I really don't like their shifters, and had one of their chainsets once and the shifting was poor and the bottom bracket was not as well sealed as shimano.

Some shimano groups are also banned. 2oo gs stands out because it was so heavy and made of plastic coated steel. I realise its functionally ok, but I just feel it doesn't belong on any half decent bike. I used to like the Marin Muirwoods frame design, but would never have bought one as it came fitted with 200gs. Plastic covered brakes I can handle but plastic covered cranks?? No!

I also agree the early 9-speed lx is just utterly minging. I think some of the xtr stuff looks ugly too, even if it is functionally superior.

I love the cnc Proshift, Paul, White Industries shimano but beginning of 90 at the expense of SRAM. I think I do not like reading speeds on the dial.

Always gotta be XTR (or equivalent level).

I would rather have 1 bike with decent gear, than multiple bikes with 'lesser' gear. Yes I am a tart.

Back