So its really muddy, what do you ride?

Re:

There seems to be some contradiction here as some say fatbike so that the bike is less likely sink in. Meanwhile others say skinny tyres to increase the frame clearances and presumably to help the tyre to cut through and find some traction below.

Surely this depends on the consistency of the mud and its tendency to stick to and build up on the tyres?

And I would have thought that when riding through wet sloppy mud with a good surface below, that the fatter the tyre, the higher the rolling resistance?

1.4" tyres. Slicks
Go slow but a huge amount of fun trying to stay straight and not fall off.
Average speed- 1mph

Retro Mtb wisdom from back in the day was to go with a narrower tyre at higher pressure to cut through the gloop to firm ground below.
That's the practice I used to follow.

This is my mud bike, I know it's not vintage but there are some vintage parts on it like the 25 year old cranks:

710f36787a4dd56f44ff5685756b86d7_zpsewwvc23d.jpg

Uses 2.4" tyre up front, 2" at the back, 6 speed cassette on a Hope single speed hub and, after that ride, only two rings up front as I never use the big ring.

pete_mcc":2qd9l2tr said:
This is my mud bike, I know it's not vintage but there are some vintage parts on it like the 25 year old cranks:

710f36787a4dd56f44ff5685756b86d7_zpsewwvc23d.jpg

Uses 2.4" tyre up front, 2" at the back, 6 speed cassette on a Hope single speed hub and, after that ride, only two rings up front as I never use the big ring.

Nice one Pete!

I always used to ride with Velociraptors or Onza Rip n Rail, depending on how muddy, 'muddy' meant. Raptors had lots of grip but used to ride like you were dragging a tonne of bricks behind you. Onza Rip and Rail were great when you had lots of thick, sticky mud - narrow with tall tread. You had to keep the wheels fairly square when cornering (hide side blocks) but generally quite good. Tbh if you're riding retro I'd go for one of those. :) (And yep, as soon as I can dig it out again it'll be the Zaskar come rain or shine!) :)

Back