9 speed thumbies - best option?

I have the SJS versions on my daily and use in friction mode. Right shifter is a joy but left can be a little awkward with the amount of throw. They also mount using the bolt from the shifter unlike the Pauls. I can post a pic of my setup if you like?

thanks for the links (and the pics!)

I know where to purchase, just more looking for any thoughts on pros, cons, how are they to actually use etc :)

My son bought the bike off fleabay with all the Paul stuff fitted, he really likes the thumb shifters, I’ve ridden it and personally I prefer a decent set of MTB trigger shifters, but that’s just my personal preference.

hi, interesting topic,
I'm a big thumb shifter fan, but also like to run at least the bikes I build to use them more regularly meanwhile without a front mech. but ideally with bit wider cassette, 1-9 or 1-10 with 11-36 bandwidth for instance.

For that I have tried a few options.
Not my pic,
Thumbies Deore sl-MT62 Duraace SL-BS77 und Microshift BS-T09.jpg
but I'm using or have used

- Shimano XT 7-speed thumbies, using the additional shifting postion with 8 speed cassettes
Still maybe the most recommended set-up. You do get also some cassettes with with 9-11t, so maybe 8 speed is good to go, unless you need more smaller steps between the speeds.

- Shimano DuraAce bar-end shifter with Thump shifter mounts (there are even alternative ones to Paul)
First of all keep in mind, there are certain DuraAce generations not matching with other RR or MTB (oldschool) rear mechs.
Secondly, I do like the sophisticated and extravagant style,
20230404_124558.jpg
but ergonomic-wise, it has some limitations.
The shift lever isn't designed well for this position. Also with regards to the angle it's not as good as XT thumbies
Paul und Dura Ace vs Shimano XT thumbs 3.jpg

- Sunrace Thumbies,
In my humble opinion, crap, or at least no fun to shift!
I can recommend giving it a try, but i have heard meanwhile a lot of comments, which do share my opinion. Not a valid option if you want something matching experience with Shimano thumbies.
I was regretting even the 20€ i have spend on such a shifter and done a hack to use the shifter mount from the Sunrace for an left over Microshift Barend-shifter
20220222_175611.jpg

- last but not least, my favorite one, the Microshift Thumbie.
There are a few different models, and especially the ones with 8 or 9, nowadays even 10speed (road!, the MTB is for Dyna-Sys and doesn't work with old MTB mech) are meanwhile quite hard to get, or overpriced. But it's worth the effort, because you can adjust them easily for the perfect and fast/crisp gear shift.
They also look great, the silver one with the mount with the cut outs fits to some custom brake lever
20211201_104414.jpg
Microshift mit Avid Ultimate.jpg

the black one looks decent but is a nice fun stick.
20200508_191007.jpg
I've bought that one when the 9 speed variant just turned into a discontinued model, for just 30 bucks in sale. I should have bought 10 more of it!

Last edited:
Back