Single-speed Montage or boring commuter bike?

robjwood

Retro Newbie
I've been looking at bikes recently for my commute to work and thought that rather than buy a new one I'd see what I could do with my old Raleigh Montage. As my commute is short and mainly roads/paths, I was thinking about converting it to single-speed one day (mainly due to simplicity of maintenance). That day came sooner than I though as on the first day of my commute the chain snapped!

My question is: how feasible is it to convert it to single-speed bearing in mind I've never done it before, want to spend as little as possible and don't have bags of time in which to do it. I don't really know what parts I need and which I can use off the current bike.

To figure out what size cranks I'd need I'd also hoped to use the bike for a bit in a single gear to see how that feels on my commute. The problem is, I don't think the bike would last on a few test runs (I managed to fix the chain but feels like it's slipping massively when I apply any kind of pressure) and I don't know whether the cranks themselves are worn or whether it's something to do with the gear mechanism.

A silly question: is it possible to remove the gear cables and just manually move the chain onto the cranks I want to try out (my thinking is that is this worked without slipping then I'd know it was the gear mechanism that's faulty).

Should I give a single-speed project a crack or just resign myself to buying a commuter bike? Any help would be appreciated!

If you want to run your bike as it is, but singlespeed I wouldn't bother with cable removal etc, I'd experiment first using the gears you have I.e. try rides with your gears 'locked' in one position (just don't be tempted to use your shifters, as this is the 'lock') and see which one is the most comfortable. I've heard talk of magic ratios etc so you need to find yours. If you are lucky, you might find one that you can use without going to too much expense by using your rear mech as the chain tensioner and the high/low limit screws to lock it in place over the rear cog you most prefer. You can then decide if you want to remove any of the drive train parts you arent now using (front/rear shifters, front mech, cabling and chain rings at the front - though you may need shorter chain ring bolts if tou do this). You'll probably neeed to shorten your chain to fit your desired gear ratio as well, but.....

.... Imho, I think you need a new chain and/or ring(s) and perhaps cassette as you have described classic wear symptoms, and I your chain has snapped, it's never going to be as strong.

I've never done a single speed build, I like my knees too much after bouts of surgery on them, so the above is just a theory based on what I might attempt if I were on a budget and felt the need. I have done a 1 x 9 speed commuter build so have done half of the above, but the rear mech is still attached for the 3 or 4 of the 9 cogs I used for the steeper parts of my commute.

I hope this helps/give you idea and saves you removing stuff only to find single speed is not for you, and perhaps a budget conversion. You could actually use the front mech as a guide/prevention tool for the chain falling off the front chain ring I suppose? Just thoughts.

An old Raleigh Mantage is gonna have almost horizontal dropouts... so no need for a tensioner

G

Single Speeding is a simple process, I was able to convert a TREK to single speed using an old dismantled rear cassette (Retaining the spacers) and by removing the two rings from the Crankset cobbled myself together a pretty effective Single Speeder, the only thing i needed to take up the slack was a chain tension device which I found on ebay el-cheapo. fitting some Schwalbe Cityjet tyres & losing the excess weight of the front and rear mech and shifters I was soon tearing up the town center with ease. It does take some getting used to but was loadsa fun. I can see why they are so popular in inner city enviroments. Functional, Clean and very Low Maint :D

Have a go :)

Here is mine, sadly sold on now, but looking to make another one very soon.

Attachments

• TREKphoto.JPG
    TREKphoto.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,141
  • dscf3069retrobiketrek_516.jpg
    dscf3069retrobiketrek_516.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,141
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give it a shot as it sounds like I've got nothing to lose!

@ishaw
Great advice about test the ratio. The only problem is that I fear I won't be able to give the single speed a decent test because as soon as I apply pressure to the pedals to get up an incline, the chain is going to slip. My fear is that the cassette/chainring is worn and that I won't be able to remedy it so I can test ratios.

@Jussa

That's the kind of thing I'm after, just a nice, clean, simple bike.

Was the chain skipping before it snapped, or where you not riding it for a while, then snapped on its first ride back out?

If it was fine, and now skips, its fair to say that it now skips due to the snappage... are the links connected securely, stiff or bent at all?

If it hasnt been ridden for ages, then it might just be that the chain is generally stiff, and could do with cleaning, soaking etc.

Just trying to suggest methods of "not buying new chain, chain ring and sprockets" ;)

G

The beauty of using an old Cassette is that the smallest and largest ring are usually the ones that wear out before the rest, With a 8 speed or 7 speed cassette youve got a few options to try out by experimenting with the different 'Teeth' combinations, coupled with a budget chain (Incidentally i paid £4 for a chain from ASDA) which worked really well. I've seen sprockets and tensioners for under £20 on ebay.

It can be done on a budget, my TREK is testament to that.

:) I look forward to hearing how you get on,

Jussa :D

Just done some digging around and an old Rear mech using the adjuster screws, or fitting a cable and locking it off so you get the position right may be able to give you a make shift tensioner if you didnt want to spend out much money. :)

Thanks again for the info, it's all 're going to be very useful.

@unkleGsif

The chain wasn't skipping before (although it wasn't exactly running smooth). I'll try cleaning it up and see what difference it makes.

@Jussa

Thanks for digging! My cassette is a 7 speed and although it's seen better days it should be good enough for me to try out a suitable ratio for a single speed (I'm assuming the chain is the root of my current problems).

Back