Single-speed Montage or boring commuter bike?

I know that one...45 and riding a rigid single speed for the past 3 years. :D

I get more pins and needles riding my steel Kona with Z2 superflys than a rigid forked single speed. Try Ritchey foam grips.

Started the project (by that I mean I've started removing stuff) and I've hit my first snag. I need to remove the cassette and, along with a chain whip, I also need tool to unlock the cassette with a tool.

From what I understand, I need either a freewheel or a cassete tool (the two examples here at Halfords):

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 42558#tab1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 42558#tab1

I went to my local bike shop and showed them the following pictures to see if they could help identify which I would need:

IMG_20120915_142218.jpg

IMG_20120915_142205.jpg

I was told I'd need the freewheel tool but it doesn't seem to lock onto the nut. I've either bought the wrong one or I'm doing something quite wrong!

Any ideas?

I think you've been sold the wrong one. Under the oil that looks like a cassette that fits on to a free hub, in which case it would need the cassette remover tool working with the chain whip.

Once the lock ring is loosened and removed the cassette should slide out from the free hub splines.

Complain to your bike shop and ask them to change it.

I always prefer to clean up oily bits of kit like that before working on them as you have a clearer idea of what needs doing.

Well, I managed to change it to the cassette remover tool but this doesn't fit either! Is there a 3rd possibility?

Here's a few pictures of the hub and the remover tool:

IMG_20120922_155859.jpg

IMG_20120922_155916.jpg

IMG_20120922_160121.jpg

I thought removing the cassette would be the easy bit!

You need a Shimano Hyperglide cassette lockring tool e.g. Park FR5C. As you can see, it has much narrower splines to fit your lockring.

ParkTool-FR-5c-Cassette-Tool-2T.jpg

You also need a chain-whip to stop the cassette spinning when you try to remove the lockring.

Latest posts

Back