Single speed, I just don't get it?

If you want a fixed for commuting, get one. Any negative image connotations can be easily avoided by choosing a bike that doesn't have fluoro deep-v rims, a painted chain and a 9in straight bar. Drop bars, two brakes and, ideally, mudguards.

al":zoc4mlcw said:
dyna-ti":zoc4mlcw said:
but this is a forum and as such it is our duty to prolong daft debates for as long as possible.

al. :D
I suppose youre right :LOL:

Its not a difficult thing to change your bike to SS.just take all the gears off and thats it :?
So Instead of asking you can actually try it yourself :shock:

Dont like it :?
Put the grear back on again
How simple does it need to be :shock:
[directed at Mr footlong]

With the exception of the fashion victims, we are all one family anyway.

Don't care what anyone rides and don't care that, at present, my rides are 2 modern GT's..

Going to do a few short trips on my current SS before I SS the Aggressor ('07.. shoddy aluminium frame or something :? )

I yearn for an old Erzulie, Zaskar or Mid-high Kona.. maybe I'll get one, maybe I won't. Might be ss, might have 30 gears (who the eff thought that anyone needed that many gears?? :shock: )....

Ultimately, it'll be ridden (poorly, in all likelihood). . . . and that's what matters to me.

MJN":tmjjwnz9 said:
Next time you go to dalby take your ss, the place is perfect for it! Hopefully I'll be there on the 23rd for the retroride on mine(it's the only mtb447891718392 I've got that currently works!) :D

There are steep(ish) hills though :? :shock: :? :shock: :?

unocogero":33ltrdd4 said:
MJN":33ltrdd4 said:
Next time you go to dalby take your ss, the place is perfect for it! Hopefully I'll be there on the 23rd for the retroride on mine(it's the only mtb I've got that currently works!) :D

There are steep(ish) hills though :? :shock: :? :shock: :?
:D

They are nice rolling hills perfect for ss, make it ave it on the climbs and then enjoy the descents with no chain rattle! just watch out for geared bikes getting in the way, especially on the uphill hairpins! :D

Don't laugh- what is a 'fixie' exactly? I nearly rented a bike in Finland but it didn't have normal brakes, you had to back-pedal to stop it and I think it couldn't freewheel either (it was a few years ago, my memory..). It felt like a death trap so I got a kayak instead! Was that a fixie?

That's a coaster brake. People that can ride them without killing themselves think they're great; I'm struggling with mine though.

chris667":35izz26b said:
That's a coaster brake. People that can ride them without killing themselves think they're great; I'm struggling with mine though.

I was nearly killed by a tram in Amsterdam thanks to those bloody things,The tram is getting closer and im desperately trying to lift the pedal to start off but not understanding why the bike wont move forward :LOL: :oops:

This:

S2C.jpg

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/7/id/55

= simplicity, clean lines and good times. Probably. I hope.

Back