Single speed, I just don't get it?

beagle":9p0xv940 said:
PIGEON":9p0xv940 said:
A fixed bike is not faster, nor is it more efficient.
You're right, it probably isn't more efficient, that's me talking crap.

I believe fixed is more efficient. No freewheel means the power is constantly being put down. There is no easing up. Every ounce of effort is being converted into forward momentum.

All of my best time trial times were done on a fixed wheel.

Coincidence? I doubt it.

al":37gifdhc said:
If that's you in your avatar, would you mind staying in the closet?

al. :D

Whaddya mean? That's my new Breast Cancer Awareness kit I'll have you know!

Of all the debates I have read on cycling in the forum, this is the most nonsesical!! :?

Different bikes perform in a completely different ways 1 gear 3 gears 5 gears 6 gears 7 gears 8 gears 9 gears 11 gears 14 gears 18 gears 21 gears 24 gears 27 gears 33 gears and beyond!

But by far the biggest factor of all is the cyclist spinning the cranks.

We all ride different terrain in different ways.

For the record I ride a 2x9, SS and 24 speed.

Choose your weapon and get on with it! :shock:

Another public information broardcast from Ol' big gob. ;)

I "get" SS bikes, and I have one (albeit that it isn't quite all joined up yet and recognisable as a bike). I "get" geared bikes, and I also have one.

I don't "get" fixies, at least not for daily pootling in the same way I'd use an SS to get to work. I understand the principles, and the physics concerned. I understand it must be a challenge to keep cadence and momentum while adjusting your riding style/balance to be constantly peddalling. In fact, come to think of it, offroad that must be bloody hard, as I'm fairly sure they don't freewheel (hence fixie - doh!)

I am however full of loathing as they seem to have been adopted by the sandal wearing bearded tofu eating soya-latte generation getting out of their Audi's and onto their ludicrously expensive pushbikes in order to save the planet. That is not to say that there are probably some genuinely top people out there on fixies, but the bandwagon has been well and truly jumped on - and it's time will surely pass. When it does, and we no longer remember the trendies and their pimped out fluoro creations, then I might find myself on one. Just as I now find myself on an SS.

The circle will complete itself. It is my destiny to ride a fixie one day (when I grow up a bit and stop being all grumpy about salad eating, food mile conscious, hemp carrier bag using environmentalist two-wheelists)

I have a beard am a Vegetarian drive an audi and have several SS bikes!

FMJ":1i0rg5x0 said:
al":1i0rg5x0 said:
If that's you in your avatar, would you mind staying in the closet?

Whaddya mean? That's my new Breast Cancer Awareness kit I'll have you know!

The colour really matches your eyes!

al. ;)

i was riding s/s today ,just had beans on toast for tea ,and i need a shave

should i be worried ?

mikee":108jawaa said:
i was riding s/s today ,just had beans on toast for tea ,and i need a shave

should i be worried ?

Yes!

I'm having egg and chips for me tea. :D

I found that singlespeeds got me back into mountain bikes again after a few years of road racing, not worrying about what gear your in and just making it have it, having to carry speed through corners and trying not to brake anywhere so as not to loose precious momentum, it's ace and round places such as dalby forest and Cannock chase they're usually the fastest option! I've also got a track bike which I use for racing on the track, we have one locally, but I'd never call it a 'fixie'!

Audi - check
beard - goatee......close enough. check
vegetarian - I'll have mine medium rare please

They're building a velodrome a few miles from my house for the 2015 Pan Am games. When it is completed, I will put together a (probably vintage steel) track bike and use the track. Until then, I see no use for anything fixie.

Back