Single speed, I just don't get it?

Pickle":r7byjluo said:
beagle":r7byjluo said:
PIGEON":r7byjluo said:
A fixed bike is not faster, nor is it more efficient.
You're right, it probably isn't more efficient, that's me talking crap.

I believe fixed is more efficient. No freewheel means the power is constantly being put down. There is no easing up. Every ounce of effort is being converted into forward momentum.

All of my best time trial times were done on a fixed wheel.

Coincidence? I doubt it.

With a single geared bike the chain is always pulling in a straight line. If you were pulling a load with a rope you would stand directly in front and pull in the intended direction of travel, not off to the side a bit. That would just make it hard work!!!

ALLEGEDLY there is a couple of percent gain in efficiency from a direct chain pull rather than a mech etc. It's not enough to be noticeable I think...but I do love singlespeeding.

I think we should just be pleased people are riding bikes more. Some people like to freewheel, some don't...road, offroad...we all just need a group hug!

@MJN: If I did the 26 miles of Dalby on a SS I would die, respect to your knee power ;)

single speed

wo! take a chill pill my fat tyred friends, looks like your humour has disapeared along with your gears, all i said was why did all those klunkers that were made by the likes of fisher & breeze have gears? the use of the word gay wasnt meant to offend either. xxx

Next time you go to dalby take your ss, the place is perfect for it! Hopefully I'll be there on the 23rd for the retroride on mine(it's the only mtb I've got that currently works!) :D

dyna-ti":pyd4g8hl said:
Is this still going on :?

:roll:

Don't roll your eyes!

There are eleven pages on kleins being cool. :shock:

Just the one word, No! would have done,but this is a forum and as such it is our duty to prolong daft debates for as long as possible.

al. :D

markoc":8zdigszw said:
I "get" SS bikes, and I have one (albeit that it isn't quite all joined up yet and recognisable as a bike). I "get" geared bikes, and I also have one.

I don't "get" fixies, at least not for daily pootling in the same way I'd use an SS to get to work. I understand the principles, and the physics concerned. I understand it must be a challenge to keep cadence and momentum while adjusting your riding style/balance to be constantly peddalling. In fact, come to think of it, offroad that must be bloody hard, as I'm fairly sure they don't freewheel (hence fixie - doh!)

I am however full of loathing as they seem to have been adopted by the sandal wearing bearded tofu eating soya-latte generation getting out of their Audi's and onto their ludicrously expensive pushbikes in order to save the planet. That is not to say that there are probably some genuinely top people out there on fixies, but the bandwagon has been well and truly jumped on - and it's time will surely pass. When it does, and we no longer remember the trendies and their pimped out fluoro creations, then I might find myself on one. Just as I now find myself on an SS.

The circle will complete itself. It is my destiny to ride a fixie one day (when I grow up a bit and stop being all grumpy about salad eating, food mile conscious, hemp carrier bag using environmentalist two-wheelists)

I've contempated the fixie for commuting on but just can't sell it to myself, the weight loss of not having a freewheel and the physics behind it aren't enough. I've also got a little bit of a problem with the image too...been marketed to death and I haven't got a Smeg fridge to lean one up against in the downtown appartment :D

Back