Show us what you did today, thread

Nice pics Jon, looks like you had the sea harr the same as up here.
Yesterday we had pea soup type fog and some rain later which was a real bummer.
Today was much better, it was quite sunny and minimal wind early on but the fog/harr was about as you couldn't see Hoy across the water at all until about 10 or so.
It was a good cycling day all round up here. Heather and Caleb are away at her mums for the weekend and so my early start with decent weather was going to plan, the wind was picking up as the day went on but luckily didnt get too bad. I walked the dogs early got sorted and ended up doing a good couple of hours out on the Merckx, though the fog was closing in all around at one stage. I got home around half past midday and then sat and watched the Tour Of Flanders on Eurosport until about 4.30 or so. Did a few things then got another quick couple of hours out on the Merckx again. Out round the coast and then a quick loop up to Dunnett Head as the harr/fog lifted in that direction and you could actually see it. Got home, fed and walked the dogs and then watched the Dew Tour BMX on the box while I cooked some dinner.
A good bike day indeed. :D
Brian text me and asked if I wanted to join a couple of the guys down his way fatbiking in the morning but unfortunately I cant as my car is not running right and its waiting on parts. My lead dog Star is also not doing great and needs medicated at set times, so I dont want to leave her on her own for such a long day. It takes me about 2 1/2 hours to get to Brians before I ride so it would be far too long a day.
At least I have tomorrow off which is unusual for me, so heres hoping for some more nice weather and I will get a few more miles in.
I hope everyone has had a good one also. By the look and sound of it a good few have been making the most of the good weather today. Long may it last.

Jamie

Looking south/east with the Harr blowing in from the north

Lookiing across to Hoy from the lookout at Dunnett Head. The same place as the shot of Brian the weekend before. Thats the top of the mountains on Hoy but that should be water between, not harr.

Weird how it just blows in

Re: Re:

RobMac":2966foyh said:
Jon what VooDoo is that and whats the tube set?

'97 Erzulie with Black Magic tubes, which I think are Taiwanese made for Voodoo, but prepared to be corrected if you have any info.

Don't see many Voodoos on the forum. Tainted by the later Halfords link or just not many sold back then? I dunno. A nice Joe Murray design with cool graphics in my opinion, but then I would say that eh?

Aye Jamie - bit of sea fog but it barely made landfall unlike those freezing east coast haars when I lived on the Aberdeen-shire coast. We had a nice cloud inversion this morning early with the hills poking out into the blue sky above. Murder spending the day in front of a computer but glad i finally made it out.
That Merckx is a bonny bike. I'm guessing the crank isn't stock? I recently put a compact double on my road bike as the gearing was too much for my skinny legs! Still thinking of going for a 32 tooth inner though. I guess I'd need to change the mechs to go triple?

Attachments

• April 2015.2 (2).jpg
    April 2015.2 (2).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 232
Thats a great pic Jon, water like glass.
I'm just about to change my gruppo out on the Merckx, just to freshen it up a bit. That one has been on there since I built it new, so the cranks as original as that frames ever seen. I have a few spares about and can either swap some of the stuff out for Dura Ace 7700 or I have a full Dura Ace 4700/4703 in the spares box as well. It is a triple but in all these years I think I have only used the granny ring about half a dozen times in 13 years. More pride and stubborness than good legs. I built it as my everyday transport back then and I had no idea where I would end up so just replicated what was on my TCR when I came to the UK. It wasn't really retro then so it was built more workmanlike than for racing. That crank runs 52/42/30 with a 12/25 cassette. Just going to go back to the same as my old Squadra with a 53/39.

Jamie

All this Merckx talk! I'm going to have to pull the Flying Scot out of the attic and put it back together.

I was intending to set it up like the Andre Bertin I had when I was a lad, but I'm not sure I'm up to a 53/13 anymore. No, come to think of it, I am sure I'm not. :)

It is indeed a great photo Dyna, lots going on but its still a calm pic.
I just usually think 'oh that looks nice' and take my little nikon out my back pocket. It has got a fair few features for landscape etc but I just leave it on auto and take my glove off and snap a quick picture then go. The few times I have put it to landscape etc it did look better. I dont usually stop for long enough or maybe I just cant be arsed to faff about. I probably should though.

Jamie

Some great pics guys, and if that's the view out your window Jon then I am particularly jealous! Love Lochaber and while I also live in quite a nice part of the world I've not named my cottage 'Naeview' for nothing! :LOL:

Voodoo looks pretty good too. Definitely have that Kona-esque look about them.

And Brian. 53:13! :shock: My legs shudder to even think about what that gear would feel like! :LOL:

Jamiedyer":1e93dx9j said:
only used the granny ring about half a dozen times in 13 years. More pride and stubborness than good legs.
Jamie

Sounds like good legs to me! I don't get out nearly enough and my wee legs didn't cope with that gearing at ll :oops: The recent discovery of compact cranks was a revelation (yes, I am/was that ignorant). I kind of like the sound of Epicyclo's 13 tooth inner for these Lochaber hills...

firedfromthecircus":usbyx2mu said:
...And Brian. 53:13! :shock: My legs shudder to even think about what that gear would feel like! :LOL:

I'm tempted to try it again just to see what it feels like now, but first I need to get my application in to the Rambler's Club, seeing as I'd end up doing a lot of walking... :)

(I usually run 48/18 on my skinny tyre road bike nowadays)

Re:

You buggers have cursed me with all this talk about haar!
Yesterday was stunning, today I can barely see the neighbours house.
Was planning a ride from the house but looks like in packing the car and heading inland.

Back