Show us what you did today, thread

I can see it, which is more than I can say for my other bikes. Kitchen has stalled, waiting on a building warrant sign off before we can plaster. Everything is piled up in my bike room until the plaster work is done. I'm going to climb over and haul a bike out tonight though, might even be enough room to finish off the pivot repairs.

Re:

Fulfilled a lifetime ambition - took apart a Sturmey Archer AW hub :) Spent a happy few hours cleaning up the internals, the hub was rusted up solid in every way before I started.

Cleaned up bits (the orange highlight on the parts isn't rust, it's from a horrible sodium light);

Which came out of this rusty hole;

Now all I have to do is put it back together! (Actually I need to get a replacement pawl spring as one of them was bust - considering the awful condition of the hub I'm really impressed that this was the only part that didn't just need a clean up to restore to working order.)

Bonus points for any eagle-eyed epicyclic aficionados who spotted the missing assembly in the first picture!

Re:

Ewan ,

I had one of those and it seemed ok but when I stripped and cleaned it I found numerous cracks in both seat stays below the canti mounts.
Had to bin the frame and put the parts on something else.
The previous owner had used the bike on the road for commuting , I hate to think what would have happened if I'd taken it off road.
I now have a mistrust of aluminium Marins and I wouldn't have another.
Give it a good check over ...

this ones solid steel can tell from all the bits of rust lol spent £20 on new cables and put proper tyres on it looks a bit better now

ewanm77":4gjbate0 said:
this ones solid steel

It is identical to my aluminium Nail Trail in every way , looks like its twin from the photos.

Just looked back at my pics of the Nail Trail. The only difference (except for the obvious different material) is the tube thickness and welds. Everything else is the same down to the position of the cable stops and the rear canti bridge.

Back