Riding Rigid

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I went for a shortish off road ride last night that I rode fully rigid.

I haven’t ridden fully rigid since 1995!

I have to say that it was surprisingly comfortable. Don’t get me wrong I won’t be getting rid of my suspension forks – but it makes a nice change.

Anyone else ride fully rigid regularly?

M

Yeah, I ride rigid most of the time, most trails don't need Susp. IMHO, albeit some of the trail centres (glentress etc..) are very much geared up for boing boing bikes and riding rigid can be quite painful :evil:

Think if you ride more sedate trails, the control and feel you get is well worth the lack of comfort that suspension affords, indeed the skills you need to develop on a rigid will help your riding overall even if you do prefer a bit of boing most of the time.

Also worth remembering that it is one less thing that needs to be maintained and fixed if it goes wrong- simplicity means less hassle in my book ;)

clockworkgazz":3p14e8s9 said:
Also worth remembering that it is one less thing that needs to be maintained and fixed if it goes wrong- simplicity means less hassle in my book ;)

I've only just serviced my z4 fork thats ten years old this year :oops: :shock: :oops:

Slight ache in wrists this morning (from riding :roll: ) thats the only downside I can see - Thanks CWG :D

100% rigid for me :D allways and everywhere...... keep in mind I´m not a wicked 4X or Downhill rider on nowadays courses, but did the Himalaya´s and Alps (incl. Grand Raid) rigid, suits me best and keeps me challenged (....up to 4 feet drops max. that is ;) ). Fully ( :roll: ) aware that this is not the easiest and most comfortable way all the time but it´s such a nice feeling to tackle the hardiest of stretches on a rigid bike..... I´m addicted I guess :roll: :D

My regular steed is rigid. That being said, it gets used for the commute most of the time so doesn't see real off road very often.
There are plans afoot for the Clockwork to go rigid too, and that is a proper off road steed. I enjoy the challenge (and the reduced weight don't go amiss either!). I do have to say most of my riding is more open XC and sweeping single track than North Shore or free ride these days though. :D

You really can't beat a rigid bike in the single track. :cool:

Both bikes I own are fully rigid. Grew up that way and despite having dabbled in front suspension and FS I would not consider suspension again for where I ride.

One thing though - you do need a big volume front tyre. The 2.4, fast-rolling, big volume but sub 600g tyres from the last few years are one of the best MTB advancements ever IMHO. Totally transform the bike for the better. Can highly recommend the Conti 2.4 Mountain King Supersonic.

Back