Riding Rigid

Max P":fidbwbyd said:
One thing though - you do need a big volume front tyre. The 2.4, fast-rolling, big volume but sub 600g tyres from the last few years are one of the best MTB advancements ever IMHO. Totally transform the bike for the better. Can highly recommend the Conti 2.4 Mountain King Supersonic.

I currently run 2.1.s back and front - I will look into a Conti 2.4 Mountain King for the front - do you run them front and back?

I dont think I would get a 2.4 in the back ( :oops: )

M

My singlespeed is rigid and will always remain that way - if I'm in the mood it is the best tool for the job, but there are many trails I ride where I would not even consider it.

One day I may ride rigid, the next I may ride a 7" travel monster rig... often in the same forest.

I've shown this picture before but...

yrr7t9.jpg

Top trail for the big bike, and the trail below for the rigid bike... although even the lower is very tricky around the tree and I have ended up sliding down the bank on my arse trying to prevent a chainring from impailing my face... in the dark!

My first MTB ride in a decade was last Sunday, on a fully rigid Klein of mid-nineties vintage, with some 1.95's at around 50psi.

For the terrain I ride it was a liberating however very uncomfortable experience. My local area is very rutted, with lots of stones / rocks and tree roots. I found myself out of the saddle way too much.

I'm glad I have some Marzzochi's on their way from Scant :D

paddy01 said:
My first MTB ride in a decade was last Sunday, on a fully rigid Klein of mid-nineties vintage, with some 1.95's at around 50psi.

let the air out and life gets better 35 psi max :D

I'm converting all mine one by one to rigid. So much better for climbing I have found, plus when descending you don't tend to get pitched over the handlebars so much with 5" travel disappearing underneath you on drop offs.

Also finding that it is building my upper body strength as a by-product :D

So to summise:

large volume low pressure tyres + rigid fork + gears =

surly-pugsley1.jpg

Dont think Mrs LMTTM would approve though!

Really liking the good feedback on the rigid theme. I really want to try some knarly trails to see how I get on........

.......I did it in 1995 no reason I cant do it now :D :D :D

Back