Retrobikes of the future ?

i also have an one one-geared in bred and cant make my mind up so glad there appears to be some disagreement here cos nealry everywhere else always says they are brilliant without question

the chas dogs bolx is a continuation of the earlier ones but ey have changed it-disc specific for instance and even started calling it dogs bolx 3 at one stage

my gensesis is still best bike i own so i reckon chas will be classic whatever year they were manufactured

the pace 104 steel frame lloks fantastic in flesh as at london bike show-also designed for shorter travel forks or pace rigid-which makes them a bit rarer in the modern world of long travel frame reinforced hardtails

legrandefromage":3qahbobl said:
I've ridden two supposedly high quality modern 853 frames and they were just not nice to ride.

Mmmm.. tried a couple and well, yes, agree with you. Main tri 853...rear tri..scaffold...853 sticker on seat-tube and its meant to be brilliant.

Cotic seem to have it right..do they?

I love my crappy on-one, it is prob. the first bike I would choose if I didn't know the trails I was going to- great allrounder.

A retro classic of the future- don't know, indeed don't know many "new" bikes out there, the cotic seems to have a cool look but not sure if that is because it appeals to my retro predilections :?

Can I put forward 3 of the bikes I own.

1st The Kinesis Decade Virtue - Kinesis brought it out (along with the 'Tripster' Hybrid commute bike, The 'Convert' Fixie/Roadrace bike, and the 'Virtue' mountain bike) for their 10th annivarsary with the first batch of each frame having the LTD Edition ‘10yr.’ decal on the seat tube. Its made from Tange Prestige JPN’, double butted, Cro. Mo. steel tubing, has DMR dropouts so can be run with hoziontal or vertical dropouts. Only a few Virtues were made before Kinesis was told it couldnt use the Virtue name as its already been used on a Felt full sus so the Virtue was renamed the Virsa. Mine is one of the first so is a Virtue with the 10yr sticker. Must be worth a few bob in the future.

2nd The Specialized Epic - Epic bikes have an FSR suspension system that's completely locked out until bump forces are detected, but so sensitive it can "read" less than 1G of input. Then the shock responds instantly. Once activated, the Epic's FSR suspension is fully active and independent...and remains that way until the terrain becomes smooth, the inertia valve closes, and the shock is locked out again. It's that simple. And that effective.

3rd The Specialized Langster (City Editions) Every year Spec does a special edition Langster painted to have links to a city in the world. London - union jacks
New York - checker cab
Las Vegas - gambling chips and gold
Monaco - Martini racing colours
etc..

Harryburgundy":fe45f6dz said:
legrandefromage":fe45f6dz said:
I've ridden two supposedly high quality modern 853 frames and they were just not nice to ride.

Mmmm.. tried a couple and well, yes, agree with you. Main tri 853...rear tri..scaffold...853 sticker on seat-tube and its meant to be brilliant.

Without incuring the wrath of my new best mate poiuy1, may I offer my opinion on the Cotic Soul?

They are pretty decent performers and pretty well built but they are probably no better than any other current Reynolds steel frame. Not sure if they will be future classics though- too many about and does anyone actually aspire to owning one?

Its a difficult one because people follow brands in general, and even more so now. Just look at the Parkpre Pro825 for example, Tange Prestige Ultimate Superlight tubing, the ride is amazing, climbs and decends with eagerness, but you can pick up a frame for cindercone money when one pops up. So i can quite believe on-ones will become sought after and other more worthy brands/frames will fall by the wayside. As LGF says there will always be a healthy market for the small botique brands though.

modern_toss_171.jpg

Dr S":1f7pq8n7 said:
Harryburgundy":1f7pq8n7 said:
legrandefromage":1f7pq8n7 said:

Without incuring the wrath of my new best mate poiuy1, may I offer my opinion on the Cotic Soul?

They are pretty decent performers and pretty well built but they are probably no better than any other current Reynolds steel frame. Not sure if they will be future classics though- too many about and does anyone actually aspire to owning one?

oh you sarky bastard!

Good point on the aspirational angle Si however I was aware of the high end exotica thru the mags but it was the bikes that were just that bit out of my budget that are to me retro classics- I had to agonise over what to spend my 3mths hard earned post office pay on in 1990 so the bikes of that era and price bracket are my fav's (went for a clockwork but should have went for a stumpie!) so it prob depends on your wallet BITD what counts as a retro classic and maybe the same rule applies for future bikes?

Back