Retrobikes of the future ?

Dr S":1rrwyswo said:
On One? Oh come on, it's the Daewoo Matiz of mountain biking. Cheap, mass produced, disposable lump of rubbish from the far east. They are popular because they are cheap. They ride like a collection of scaffold pipes clashed together in a sweat shop- which is what they are.
Classic? Cult? In Singletrackworld maybe.
Real world?
Nope.

my on-one was shite...

i was only joking about using bikes as an investment dr s !! :LOL:
but its a good topic for a retrobike thread isnt it ?
yer i also reakon this years fillet brazed pace is a sure classic :idea:
im off to buy 10 of them :LOL:

Loads of folk love on ones and some hate em but I think the question was what will be a future retrobike.

Present retrobikes include mass market Specialized's, Kona's, Marin's, GT's etc.

Surprisingly most of us cannot afford high end luxury bikes like Moots :roll:

Seems to me for some you bike snobs, anything not high end and taiwanese built cannot ever be collectable in the future which is frankly rubbish as much of the bikes owned by our members demonstrates.

On-One may never get on the cool wall but I like them and an immaculate early Inbred will be sought by someone someday.

velomaniac":p2gr6jmx said:
Loads of folk love on ones and some hate em but I think the question was what will be a future retrobike.

Present retrobikes include mass market Specialized's, Kona's, Marin's, GT's etc.

Surprisingly most of us cannot afford high end luxury bikes like Moots :roll:

Seems to me for some you bike snobs, anything not high end and taiwanese built cannot ever be collectable in the future which is frankly rubbish as much of the bikes owned by our members demonstrates.

On-One may never get on the cool wall but I like them and an immaculate early Inbred will be sought by someone someday.

Stumpjumper.

But my 'early' on-one was awful - nothing to do with being a snob. It was cack, heavy, didnt climb to well and was akin to a cheap BSO

Remember, one of the reasons that there are many cherished mid range bikes on this forum is aspiration. Not many people had Merlins, Yetis, etc in their local LBS and there was no Internet back then so mid range is what we drooled at through bike shop windows on rainy Saturday afternoons. One of my current favourites is a mid range Eastern mass produced import and it's collectable if not teribly valuable.

Things are different now, Images of high end exotica and demo days are just a click away and I suspect that today's youth are not dreaming about anything other than the top line carbon Specialized and Treks.

Dr S":zvolpbau said:
On One? Oh come on, it's the Daewoo Matiz of mountain biking. Cheap, mass produced, disposable lump of rubbish from the far east. They are popular because they are cheap. They ride like a collection of scaffold pipes clashed together in a sweat shop- which is what they are.
Classic? Cult? In Singletrackworld maybe.
Real world?
Nope.

I totally agree Si, but they do already have a cult status...affordable and a reasonable build...like a mini or Vdub I guess.
I don't like them..never have and never will...but a future classic....for sure....guaranteed.

:shock: Doctor S, you are an arrogant and angry man with your response here, take a chill pill please :roll:

I repeat again, the point of this topic is 'retrobike of the future' no need to snap back angry with your views what is shite or good, you hate On-One, so what and who cares! but you must like it enough to buy one in the past.

Yes you can get Inbred and 456 for dirt cheap now as they are mass produced in high numbers but the 853 were only made in limited numbers a few years back and havent been made since, only the 853 is worth getting.

BTW, never been an owner of On-One, too common and not my cup of tea, dont know if they are shit or good and I dont care too ;)

Shame you are going tarted your classic Yo frame with modern parts on it, a bit of waste and possible an eyesore, but good luck!

Sorry 'magicmistertea' that your post is ruined, but Dr S knows best :roll:

I'm not angry at all buddy. It's a debate on Retrobikes of the future. Unlike yourself I have owned an On One and I can tell you they are shite. Straight to the point- no anger, no arrogence at all.

Thanks for your constructive comments on my Yo.

Si

Back