Retrobikes of the future ?

magicmistertea

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I was wondering which modern bikes are going to become desirable in the future ?
obviously kleins / Fats / pace's etc among others are collectable now and reaching good prices,
what do you think are the bikes to invest in now ?
storcks perhaps ?

just wondering as a long term investment idea i have :idea: :LOL:

I have only just got back into Mountain Bikes from a good few years ago and the stuff i have seen doesnt have the same "character" as bikes from the late 80's early 90's?

Thoughts?

sturedd":3vafcfs4 said:
I have only just got back into Mountain Bikes from a good few years ago and the stuff i have seen doesnt have the same "character" as bikes from the late 80's early 90's?

Thoughts?

yer you are right... its been discussed before... a lot of parts are throw-away plastic jobbies now, not quality cnc alloy parts in cool colours.. but there are some really nice bikes around the moment...
another question.. do you think our retrobikes will go up in value ? over the next ten years.... or will the market drop as we all get too old to ride our bikes ? :LOL: (im only 30 by the way) and the younger generation will be paying the cash for the bikes they grew up riding...

magicmistertea":1fudbv9w said:
sturedd":1fudbv9w said:

Thoughts?

yer you are right... its been discussed before... a lot of parts are throw-away plastic jobbies now, not quality cnc alloy parts in cool colours.. but there are some really nice bikes around the moment...
another question.. do you think our retrobikes will go up in value ? over the next ten years.... or will the market drop as we all get too old to ride our bikes ? :LOL: (im only 30 by the way) and the younger generation will be paying the cash for the bikes they grew up riding...

I think prices for certain bikes will still increase just like anything, there will always be someone wanting a piece of history. I am 36 and did a LOT of cycling/racing from late 1988 to about 1995 and most of the innovative gear came out then, gripshift (i had one of the first sets in the country), suspension (fitted the Marzzochi forks and blew them up inside of 20 minutes!!), titanium (i remember going to a Marin trade presentation and the guy jumping on the rear triangle to show how strong!!) etc etc.

I can't see modern steeds reaching the same crazy price as that yeti c26 or whatever it is.

Merlin Ti frames, Moots etc...always seems to keep a good value. And as mentioned limited edition runs or old rides of Pro riders.

I thought the gt dhi, brooklyn works etc...would be future classics but they wouldn't be worth much in the future. Even something like a gt sts lobo cost 4k new and can't see them selling for that now.

like antiques, i think you collect what you like rather than for monetary value.

Component wise I reckon that Sram XX is a dead cert for " classic " status. At the other end of the scale, Shimano's " 29er Specific " 11-36 cassette, hopefully, will soon die a quiet death.

The modern DOGS BOLX is very tasty, however can this enjoy future 'classic' status I dont know, because is it just a continuation of the old one that already enjoys cult status?

Brooklyn Machine Works as said, both Spooky and FTW Industries (Frank Wadelton) more than likely as well, all do short runs of strong virtually indestructible frames that are very well designed.

Components will be the UK stalwarts, Middleburn and Hope Tech, I will also add my mates at Burgtec into the fray too as they're expanding their product lines. I believe some companies surpass the 'retro' branding as they make highly desirable components, two examples of these firms would be Middleburn and Chris King, a 'newbie' in this league although slightly more affordable as such would be Thomson.

Then as said the bespoke market from the likes of Roberts, Yates, Caygill et al on these shores and then Groovy, Black Sheep etc across the Pond.

Back