92 team marin......well....almost....

Well...that was just weird. A mate has those grips sitting in a box as he didn't get on with them. I can see why! They are just all kinds of wrong! They made my hands hurt more! 🤣. So they are back in his spares box.

Been out on the bike a fair bit, trying stems, heights, lengths....trying to get a accord between as low as possible for handling, as stretched out as possible for butt comfort and what my back will take in length of time with each adaptation. Realistically, im not going to be on this bike for more than 3 hours often....so that's where im setting my stall out. The touring bike is a different kettle of fish, but more in that later on the other thread.

Ive also realised sometimes you need to go backwards to move forward. I kept trying to like the ahead arrangement...honest! But, it just sat all wrong in my head. The fronts already "built up" enough without adding huge piles of wide spacers. Plus I was nervous of cutting the steerer completely down, as I'm sure I will need to revisit the height at some point.

So I've reversed and used a set of threaded forks from the wall. Fortunately I have a few! These were the frames originals.

The stem i have in there isn't quite tall enough, even with 2.5" riser bars....and im over the limit line by some degree already...😮.

It always makes me laugh the way marin went about lightening their "lite" range of kit. An 88 stem can be put up and down by miles and has a proper steel wedge. Get to 94 and the stems so thin they bend when you lean on them, adjustment is 10mm and you need a 3 foot allen key to get to the bolt...which you cant do up properly as its alluminium 🤣.

Anyway, the hight problem is about to be resolved by Gav @August Bicycles who I've finally got the measurement to for a stem for this and my 91 marin touring bike.

I'm really excited!

stems are back.....nicely filet brazed and now powered too. The roller is for this bike the other for my "91 team marin touring" bike project (see other thread).

I've also finally finished my suntour xc9000 pedals for this. These were the last generation of these and share the wtb greaseguard body that was used on the xc pro range.

These were in a right state..rounded off flats, scratched to death, bearings shot, spindles in need of replating...whats not to like there🤣

They have been quite a job in the end. But they are now spot on and cheap.!

Bearings were a couple of quid, flats were ground down from 15 to 14mm, I actually bright zinc plated and polished the spindles at work in the end...the cages were sanded off and powdercoated, bodies filed, sanded and polished. Normally i go for cerakote on cages but i wanted to hide the deeper scratches I couldn't get out.

Attachments

• 20240907_100330.jpg
    20240907_100330.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240907_111344.jpg
    20240907_111344.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240907_113224.jpg
    20240907_113224.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 23
Im pleased with the result. They are good quality pedals and deserved a new lease of life. Sometimes I do wonder if I have more belligerence than sense all the same. 🤣

Stem bolts turned up and after a quick break walking round the lake district (me...not the bolts)...im back at it.

Stems in and we are finally getting there.

Bit of bar twiddling, grip shifting, lever fettling etc and we have a winner....well I think so....... in that the grips are now 45mm higher than the saddle, and the stems not looking too stretched out / high.

Think the double wall at the top helps loose the length as I hoped.

I know it wont be everyone's cup of tea (stem and bike), but if this option keeps me on the bike and on 26" in general, that's a win in itself.

20240922_125843.jpg

Back