Retrobike Touring.

Re:

Tyres ????

I know Schwalbe Marathan are the go-to tyre for touring but if I am doing mostly off road, gravel, disused railways are are they still the most recommended.

I have some new Continental Doublefighter with slick central beading and knobblies on the outer.

Thoughts ?

No single right answer for tyres. Marathons come in enough different flavours (I think there are more than 10!) depending on what you intend.
I generally use Marathon Greenguards 26x1.75" (47-559), which are good for anything from tarmac to light off-road (railway paths, gravel etc). For Dartmoor I use Conti Race King, they are usefully quick on tarmac too...but TBH they were the tyres on the bike that I use the rest of the year!

hamster":2znczvsz said:
No single right answer for tyres. Marathons come in enough different flavours (I think there are more than 10!) depending on what you intend.
I generally use Marathon Greenguards 26x1.75" (47-559), which are good for anything from tarmac to light off-road (railway paths, gravel etc). For Dartmoor I use Conti Race King, they are usefully quick on tarmac too...but TBH they were the tyres on the bike that I use the rest of the year!

Thanks again, again, again :D

Re:

Ed you have a pm.

Attachments

• 6AFE1B1D-006D-49F8-8030-7967198337C3.jpeg
    6AFE1B1D-006D-49F8-8030-7967198337C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 811
I've taken a book and a camera on trips, and I even once took one of those mini portable speakers but it's beyond me why you'd take two amps.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 3#p3056713

file.php

I've used Trangia for over 40 years. Never been an advocate of adding water. It may decrease sooting with the purple meths but it reduces btu too. Bit of soot never bothered me & black pots are more efficient.

With modern fuels like the clear bio-ethanols you get very little to no soot anyway. Only time I do is when frying as the air gap between burner & frying pan is so great it burns very rich. No water added will prevent soot with that gap.

I only use Trangia's for static camping now & for outdoor cooking with the camper van. I prefer lighter, more compact alcohol stoves if I'm bike or backpacking. Beenusing the Speedster Backpacking Products outfits for a few years.

Back