Retrobike Touring.

Re:

Do you think its better to run old square tapered BBs and cranksets (which are harder to replace these days and take more tools to take on off out in the field) or change to modern, external BBs and either 3 speeds or singles cranks for more availability and less carrying tools?

I think it depends on how far and how remote are you going. Spares might be useful if you're somewhere remote like parts of Africa, South Amerca, etc., but for Europe, the US, etc. there will be plenty of places to buy them and get them fitted. Modern external BBs are pretty light, so you could carry a spare set of bearings, but unless you're covering a lot of distance, one should last the whole journey and square taper cartridge BBs like the Shimano UN55 last for ages, thousands of miles, maybe tens of thousands. If you're doing a really long trip, you could always fit a brand new BB, wheel bearings, headset, etc., before you set off.

Last weekend I went for another over-nighter, no spares other than an inner tube, although I did also have a small tool kit, mini pump and some patches.

It was a nice ride out, but the home stretch the next day was quite gruellig, it was only about 45 miles but we had a strong head wind that didn't let up for the whole journey, so it felt like more.

I changed my set up from last time. I bought a frame bag that holds almost everything I carried in a rucksack last time. I used a couple of dry bags as panniers, took a warmer sleeping bag, an inflatable matress and a small stove, so I could have a coffee before we set off in the morning.

Tour01.jpg

Tour02.jpg

Re:

Definately, last time I went, it was all a bit last minute and I just took a cheap sleeping bag, the square ended type that you can get in Argos for around a tenner, that I had lying around and no mat. It was really hot weather during the day, but the sky was very clear and it got quite chilly during the night.

It was useful though, because I then had a better idea of what I needed and after reading some reviews this is what I ended up getting:

Sleeping bag: https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/travelpak-2, you can get bags that are lighter and pack smaller if you spend more and get a down fill, rather than a synthetic, but I've always been put off those because you can't machine wash them and if they get wet, they stay wet.

Sleeping mat: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikenture-Slee ... eeping+mat. I was pleased with this, it's light, packs small and if you blow it up so that it's good and firm, it's comfortable and knees, elbows, hips, etc. won't poke through to the ground.

Teeny, tiny stove: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2700W-25g-Mi ... 2749.l2649. A cheap copy of some of the more expensive ones and without one of those to compare it to, I don't know it does compare, but it seemed to work well enough and at the price, no complaints.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Great idea Ixerxes, I never thought of using a dry bag in that way.

I got those at Alpkit: https://www.alpkit.com/featured/dry-bags, the ones with the loop attachments, they're flattened and eliptical in section, rather than circular. I used a strap through the top loops to hang them over the rack and then another strap each side to hold them in place and stop them flapping about.

It works, but having done it, it's not as convenient as a proper set of panniers that hook on to the rack rails.

Great updates gents. Keep the links coming as they will help very much. I use Ortlieb Classic panniers. Perfect for the job when you match them up with a suitable rear rack.

Re:

Snugpak make excellent bags. I have an expandable softie six for cooler or a mountain equipment down 3 season bag which proved remarkably warm and compact. Was £60 in the sale last year. I left it stored unpacked over a hanger until just before trip. This is a good tip with all bags if you want proper loft.

Alpkit dozer mat. Superb

Pillow is dry bag with clothes etc. Always put sleeping bag in a dry bag. Even synthetics won’t be dry between unpacking and using at end of day.

Re:

If I was looking for a Retro Steel rigid bike for dipping my toe into touring, not fully laden like some of you are doing but just an overnighter or 2.

What would peoples recommendations be ?

(I Karma'd a lovely Univega Frame recently that would have been ideal :facepalm: )

Re: Re:

xerxes":3gwt80jc said:
Do you think its better to run old square tapered BBs and cranksets (which are harder to replace these days and take more tools to take on off out in the field) or change to modern, external BBs and either 3 speeds or singles cranks for more availability and less carrying tools?

I think it depends on how far and how remote are you going. Spares might be useful if you're somewhere remote like parts of Africa, South Amerca, etc., but for Europe, the US, etc. there will be plenty of places to buy them and get them fitted. Modern external BBs are pretty light, so you could carry a spare set of bearings, but unless you're covering a lot of distance, one should last the whole journey and square taper cartridge BBs like the Shimano UN55 last for ages, thousands of miles, maybe tens of thousands. If you're doing a really long trip, you could always fit a brand new BB, wheel bearings, headset, etc., before you set off.

Last weekend I went for another over-nighter, no spares other than an inner tube, although I did also have a small tool kit, mini pump and some patches.

It was a nice ride out, but the home stretch the next day was quite gruellig, it was only about 45 miles but we had a strong head wind that didn't let up for the whole journey, so it felt like more.

I changed my set up from last time. I bought a frame bag that holds almost everything I carried in a rucksack last time. I used a couple of dry bags as panniers, took a warmer sleeping bag, an inflatable matress and a small stove, so I could have a coffee before we set off in the morning.

Tour01.jpg

Tour02.jpg

Can i ask
Your North Face Tent attached to your handle bars
is this the complete tent with poles and pegs or are your poles etc in the frame bag?
cheers

Re:

To some extent, there are bags, racks, straps and adapters available that will allow you to pretty much use any bike; although you're probably best to avoid something super light and low spoke count wheels if you're carrying a fair amount of weight, especially if you're not light to start with. :D

I try to keep the weight down and forgo a few creature comforts. As much as possible I want the bike to still be pleasant to ride and not become akin to pedalling a freight train. I also try and spread the weight across the bike to keep the handling neutral. I have previously had everything on the rear rack and I didn't like it, it made the steering feel a bit iffy.

Your North Face Tent attached to your handle bars is this the complete tent with poles and pegs or are your poles etc in the frame bag?

That's the whole tent, normally I would have the poles rolled up in the centre of the tent, but when I strap it to the bars like that, it's a bit too long and get's in the way of the brake levers, so I've got the tent folded so that it rolls up a bit shorter in the blue bag and the poles in that pale brown bag strapped on the front. Once it's all strapped in place, it's pretty solid, doesn't waggle about, updset the steering or intefere with the brakes.

Back