Retrobike Touring.

Re:

Out again this weekend, this time to Guernsey!
We took the Condor Cat from Poole on Saturday, with the rain absolutely hosing down. Condor did thier best for us, loading us way before the cars so we kept dry. We still got soaked as I had foolishly decided not to bother to pack the overtrousers as the weather forecast was better than reality.
Guernsey was wet on arrival (forecast wrong again) but was dry by the time we got to the campsite and some evening sun dried the damp patches. These had happened as I didn't pack everything in plastic sacks in the panniers, something I ALWAYS have done in the past. I had trusted the forecast, thereLa is no fool like an old fool. We were on our usual retro machines: 1994 Dawes Kickback Two MTB tandem, 1998 Fire Mountain and 1989 hot-rod Lava Dome with Midge bars.

Sunday was gorgeous on the beach and exploring German WW2 fortification stuff with my sons. It rained heavily Sunday night (forecast wrong again) but fortunately the sun came out for 2 hours at 8am allowing everything to be dried before packing. Tents stayed dry inside (9 year old Wild Country Monsoon and 3 year old Jack Wolfskin Gossamer).

Finally a boat ride home to Poole, where again it was hacking down with rain!

Pictures of camping and No1 son proud to ride a bike with his tent and stuff on the back.

Attachments

• guernsey4small.jpg
    guernsey4small.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 602
  • guernsey5small.jpg
    guernsey5small.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 601
Re: Retro MTB Touring.

Great to see that my touring post still getting attention.

Does anyone else have some input from this year.

Re:

I did the Way of the Roses ride, Morecombe to Bridlington back in July. Was fantastic, really enjoyed it, did it over 3 days but did stay in hotels both nights.

Strongly recomend it tho, can post a decent write up and pics if anyone is interested

Bazza

Re: Re:

badbaz77":10em7crk said:
I did the Way of the Roses ride, Morecombe to Bridlington back in July. Was fantastic, really enjoyed it, did it over 3 days but did stay in hotels both nights.

Strongly recomend it tho, can post a decent write up and pics if anyone is interested

Bazza

Yes, do it, I'm very interested.

If anyone is interested, I am experimenting with homemade panniers. I'm going to do a lot of touring next year, but I won't be spending a fortune.

I will post some photos in a bit.

So how far is a feasible distance each day for an old man over four days and three nights? Solo self sufficient camping with panniers? Road based on an mtb on cx comps.

I have a pass for Easter and all the kit I should need.

Starting point is Winchcombe and want to cross Severn bridge. Mrs HM has agreed to pick up so one way.

It doesn't matter.

Some days, you will want to cover 50+ miles, others you may only do 15.

It's all about the terrain, and the number of times you want to stop for a brew.

I think 30 miles/day is plenty, but you'll make yourself miserable if you push too far.

Whatever you do, make sure you find somewhere to stop before you go to sleep and while you have sufficient daylight to erect the tent.

Latest posts

Back