Rear view mirror, do you use one?

Topics I'm waiting on in a similar vein are merits of adjustable stems, kickstands & coiling excess brake cable rather than cutting it.
Dohhhh I was indeed coming to those next, there is plenty more where this came from :) I just feel that I can help people see the error of their ways, its a kind of sacred mission :) Just wait till I get those bolt on drop bar add-ons from China, I will be on a crusade to convert the unbelievers :)

Last edited:
To judge by the debate you were having, yes. In fact, you said that you didn't understand this: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/rear-view-mirror-do-you-use-one.462044/post-3400812 :rolleyes:
Its ok, I realise you are one of the few that get it, no offence, the basic concept is that precisely because you are moving more slowly on a bicycle than a motorcycle then relatively a vehicle approaching from behind is closing on you more quickly. You therefor need more distance between you when on a bicycle before a manoeuvre than on a motorcycle hence I would argue that a mirror on a slower moving bicycle is more important than on a motorcycle, I would however never ride a motorcycle without a mirror either as you are always on the road with other traffic, on a bicycle you have other options

Last edited:
They all have their merit in niche applications imo. Had an adjustable stem on a slightly too small ebike for a while. In spares box now in case I need it as I get older.

The coiled cable is the one that's really got me curious.

Its ok, I realise you are one of the few that get it, no offence, the basic concept is that precisely because you are moving more slowly on a bicycle than a motorcycle then relatively a vehicle approaching from behind is closing on you more quickly. You therefor need more distance between you when on a bicycle before a manoeuvre than on a motorcycle hence I would argue that a mirror on a slower moving bicycle is more important than on a motorcycle, I would however never ride a motorcycle without a mirror either as you are always on the road with other traffic, on a bicycle you have other options
I get it, we were at crossed purposes as @CassidyAce said. You refer to traffic from behind and I was referring to traffic in front.

Back