Rare Retrobikes...

BONTY1":3khscxo2 said:
What about some of the one-off machines buil for the pro's? Remember seeing a Yeti C26 (pretty rare in itself!) Built specially for Tomac with allsop style frame and supension beam.Even had his trademark drop bars! Think this was in Mountain Bike Action.Think Tomac wanted to see if it was to his liking!
Thanx Max

It was an Alsop style FRO! But yeah very cool!

Whatever was he thinking though - the only people who liked Alsop were poncy Triathletes :roll:

TheGreenRabbit":1q652oji said:
MadCowKev":1q652oji said:
Whatever was he thinking though - the only people who liked Alsop were poncy Triathletes :roll:

I dabble with triathalon does that make me poncy ?

Having met you probably not GreenRabbit. I have dabbled with Triathlon myself too :D

My opinion of 'poncy' triathletes is based on a few I've known, including my barber, whom if 220 magazine told them to fill their tyres with cowsh*t to go faster, would do it! The pursuit of speed is all, but often without common sense.

The principle of the Alsop beam is good and it works well (I myself rode a Quintana Roo with it once ;) ) but in a XC Racing MTB application it sucked!

What about some old school Saracens? you know, from back when they were good!

I'm thinking about some early 90s Kilis. A Flyer, an Ultra perhaps. Maybe even going more old school, how about a Conquest? (The first mtb I ever rode, I think)

Come on then, where are the old Saracens?

If any body goes to 'Hatfield' cycles there is a Muddy Fox with gold plated kit and cost £5000 new back in 1988. Only made about 2 or 3 ot them. Its just hanging up on the wall. not for sale

Carlos the Slackal":s2r05u5t said:
What about some old school Saracens? you know, from back when they were good!

I'm thinking about some early 90s Kilis. A Flyer, an Ultra perhaps. Maybe even going more old school, how about a Conquest? (The first mtb I ever rode, I think)

Come on then, where are the old Saracens?

I got one from 1991:

Attachments

• Saracen#1.jpg
    Saracen#1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,715
Apologies - no time to read the whole thread, but bikes I've not seen outside of a mag and very vague descriptions:

Mongoose Amplifier - twin downtube full susser meant to be as good as a rigid - insofar as suspension movement elimination is concerned.
Kona Custom Cruiser (I think) - diverging parallel top tubes & USA stars & stripes paintjob.

Never seen a frame like mine either: 1995 Dynatech Diablo, exposed ti top & downtube, beautiful metallic green cro-mo everywhere else. Seen some later models, when they became M-Trax and one Dynatech road bike on eBay some time back...and there's a Dynatech frame in the For Sale section with a bolt on rear end, but never seen another just like mine.

When I bought it, I was told it was part of a team rider's kit that had never been built up, but that could easily have been bollox!! Didn't matter, it was love at first sight - built up with a pair of Halson Inversion usd forks.

What else? Raised chainstay Saracen's? What about a raised chainstay Alpinestars? Or an original Rock Lobster - not a Merlin mass produced copy - I spoke to Paul Sadoff on the phone once, what a nice bloke.

Edit: Klein Mantra? Or those strange things with a wire in place of a downtube or the seat mounted on a carbon beam extending out from the top tube & virtually no rear triangle?

monsterfatuk":1hk93llr said:
I`m gonna spell this wrong but here goes

checker pig

I know this is a long time ago but - did you mean the one with the circular spring behind the seat tube? I used to have some German MTB mags with ads for these and saw a few on holiday in Austria but could never understand how the spring rate was regulated - if it actually was.

I wonder how they actually rode?

Amplifier

Mongoose Amplifier - twin downtube full susser meant to be as good as a rigid -

Mate of mine has had his since 1993, haven't seen it in a while but seem to remember that the rear shock was so stiffly sprung it was effectively a hardtail. Its basically an AMP B5 rear end AFAIK?

Back