Raleigh Lizard.

Birnie

Retro Newbie
Could anyone confirm what years the Raleigh Lizard was in production?
As far as I can see it was only advertised in the 1991 brochure?
I believe they may have only been built from spring 1990 and continued through into 1991?

Also, any other useful information would be greatly appreciated.👍

Thanks.

No useful info to add. The dates suggested sound about right as I remember a local scally riding around on one superchuffed with himself and talking a good game about mountain biking (pretty sure he never made it off the council estate where we lived). They were for those who couldn't quite afford the £300+ of a "real" entry level mountain bike. I had a Saracen Sahara which only just qualified - and had virtually every part replaced due to biking in the hills of Snowdonia.

Aside from nostalgia, they were truly awful. I had one. Steel rims, plastic brakes, frame made of drainpipe etc.
But the paint!
Screenshot_20240922-102333_Firefox.jpg
This one is only 200 sovs on ebay😂
And if you're allergic to aluminium, there's little to change

Amazing that raleigh tried making cheaper and cheaper bikes in the uk in their dying days - to compete with cheaper and cheaper imports.

Perhaps the marketing director had a degree in business studies?🤣

Aside from nostalgia, they were truly awful. I had one. Steel rims, plastic brakes, frame made of drainpipe etc.
Yeah, nicest thing about them was the paint job, but personally I really liked the look of them.
The lizards were factory fitted with two brake variants, apparently depending on what Raleigh had to hand at the time. Silver ‘Lee Chi’ brakes or black Shimano ones (which are shown on the brochure bike).

Back