Puerto Pollensa Holiday

pigman":1hs30oyw said:
Aye, we always used to find it funny in Majorca. The Brits in training camps always wore shorts and short sleeves and the Spaniards would go out in thermal jackets. Guess its all relative .. one man's hot is another man's cold
There is a legendary tale from a camp a few years ago, where one of the brits decided to go out kitted in the manner of a spanish pro. Needless to say, by the time he'd done 100km at pace, he looked like someone had been chucking buckets of damp salt at him for an hour.

And he still had a good way to go!

(i suspect the Gin and Tonics at Tolos didn't help. Its worth visiting Tolos, you'll spot the odd pro in there, Kelly, Wiggins, Hammond and a load of the old spanish guard congregate in there too)

mattr":17u1x3ic said:
. Its worth visiting Tolos, you'll spot the odd pro in there, Kelly, Wiggins, Hammond and a load of the old spanish guard congregate in there too)
aye, I'll soon bring em down to my athletic level

mattr":1yzwtx5c said:
Or you could just take some clinchers and stop being such a tart ;o)

clinkers??! what is this new fangled expression?! you mean, "wired ons" or "high pressures" surely ?! :cool:

remember hearing a great tale about the legendary stephen roche (whether it's true or not . .) apparently there was a scottish contingent who visited his training camp not long after he started this venture. of course they hadn't see a photo of roche since the early 90s and were somewhat shocked to see his obvious ponch and chubby jowls :shock:

when he was stood there giving the welcome speech one bright spark heckled him and shouted, "YOU'RE A FAT BASTARD, STEPHEN!" to which he calmly looked in the heckler's direction, dropped his chinos and pointed to his still tour de france looking legs and said, "IS THAT RIGHT?! LET THESE DO THE TALKING!" to which the twat shut up immediately!

:cool:

Re:

getting near to the "off" now . .

two questions:

does anyone know if helmets are mandatory on majorca?

is the electricity the same voltage etc as our's in the uk?

thanks!

craig

I'd also recommend a trip up to Sa Calobra. Also the square in Soller is very nice and a popular cafe stop with cyclists.

Beware of bike thieves though as a few people I know have mentioned that a few unattended bikes have been stolen across the island, especially in busy areas.

Have a good trip!

pigman":zsm5jzv4 said:
Helmets compulsory. On the spot fies if the rozzers pull you
Ahhh. There are legal mitigating curcumstances. If it's too hot, climbing a hill, in town etc, etc.
Never heard or seen anybody been done for it yet. Hordes of Germans/Spanish riding sit up and beg bikes around and no helmets.
The police do not want to upset cyclists. They keep the island going in the winter.
A couple of weeks ago I rode up a pedestrianised one way street the wrong way. The police officer walking down nodded and said "hola".
What a place? Lovely.

bigjim":1d9uvmes said:
pigman":1d9uvmes said:
Helmets compulsory. On the spot fies if the rozzers pull you

Never heard or seen anybody been done for it yet.
and I know directly someone who has been fined, although I wasn't there at the time. A training, racing cyclist vet type. Maybe just a bad day, but it was the reason I asserted it so defiintely.

yooz takes your chances ...

Purple Helmet":3kawg3ns said:
I'd also recommend a trip up to Sa Calobra.
you mean "down to" - the worlds best road descent. Not so good coming back, though the orange seller at the top will save your life.
If you do get down there, park the bike and walk through the cliff caves. Most cyclists miss these. Though racing shoes arent the best safety attire, so be careful.

The coast road from Antrax (sp??) in a northerly direction is a dream too, as is the countryside around Deja

Back