Public sector strikes on Wednesday

We live in a democracy if people are allowed to strike along with other things like demos etc then so be it.

Other wise live in a country like China, North Korea etc etc

Above posted before I saw your reply.

The last 'offer' from the government did not address the key points so why would they re-ballot? You seem to assume that those that did not vote do not support action. This is simply not true. I was amused when this point was raised on Question Time last night and a member of the audience reminded the panel of the turn out at the general election.

Lets not forget where the pensions crisis started, the man who did steal your millions.
And worse than that he did it to further his own ends, not to reduce any public debt or to further public services.
gbsmile.png

Rumble":2cb9abdf said:
brocklanders023":2cb9abdf said:
rosstheboss":2cb9abdf said:
You're lucky to be able to afford to put 11% of your pay to one side.

I can't really afford it but I always have given up 11% so do not know what it's like to have the extra.

Er... That's pretty much the definition of being able to afford it. Quite a public sector attitude to money you've got yourself there.

I'm sure no-one was complaining as salaries rose in the good times, not it's time to be a grown-up and accept the consequences like the rest of us.

Feel free to come round to my house and have a look through my finances if you want. What exactly is a 'Public Sector attitude to money'?

For the record I did not benifit from the 'good times'. We have consistantly received below inflation pay rises, even when times were good.

Many people I work with will seriously consider leaving the pension if the changes are forced through (including myself) because they simply will not be able to afford the increase.

Likewise, there is an assumption that those who did not vote do support the action, why else abstain if it is that important to them.

To be truly representative, not a union driven agenda, the sooner the minimum 50% of members rule comes into these ballots, the better.

The right to strike is firmly entrenched in law and to be applauded, I don't think many people believe it is going to make any difference anyway as there is no money in the pot.

rosstheboss":31iheli7 said:
What job do you do Brocklander? Public sector or private?

I work in construction and, just as an example of the marketplace, one of our biggest clients went pop this week - they've called in the administrators. Thankfully they didn't owe us a great deal of money, although we have had other companies go down owing us upwards of £45k. Companies are being squeezed on budgets and timescales everywhere, not just the public sector. Infact the private sector is suffering far far worse than the public sector in this recession, and they strike about pensions!!! I'm more worried about my wage packet and actually having a job!!!!

I don't have a pension and neither do most of the people I know in the trade -they can't afford one, their main priority is putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads, amidst the constant worry of when the next project will start and on what terms. The terms of employment being constantly changed by main contractors from month to month - as an example most of the main building contractors have recently changed their credit terms from 30 to 60 days - how are supposed to budget for that?!?! Tell your suppliers and employees to suck it up for another month??? Impossible!!!

Strikes achieve nothing, they just piss people off.

But Ross, the Tories insist the Private Sector are going to boom and employ all the Public Service workers that are being made redundant :?

I feel sorry for all people who are trying to keep their head above water and have many friends that work in construction. One of my best friends is an electrician working on big jobs like factories, Hospitals etc and has struggled to find work at some points and is having to accept less then he used to get. Saying that, when times were good he used to make a mint and charge more and more for every job. I'm sure many on here would say that you and him should have put more money away in the boom years? Or doesn't it work like that? ;)

1duck":29av7h8n said:
How much of are the union skimming you for just out of interest?

I pay about £25 a month. This includes money in to an accident and injury fund that will pay out if I get injured or die.

Re: .

Grannygrinder":1ipddge1 said:
I had a pension once, but a huge American owned multinational stole 8 years worth of contributions.
3 year court battle to recieve 50% of what i'd contributed has left me somewhat short for when i retire.

I'd have been happy to take a 3.2% pay cut to keep what i already owned :? Had my company had the balls to be honest in the first place.

Come and have a winge when you've something to winge about ;)

What happened to some Private Sector pensions was a disgrace but why do people think that because of this it's acceptable for the Public Sector to get hammered? Why is it always a race to the bottom?

I bet if this thread was running when the Private pensions were stolen there wouldn't have been so many people crowing about it. Funny old world isn't it.

havent read all this yet
but

in wifeys case , she will have to work an extra 6 years , pay more
into the pension scheme for less back

the local govt pension fund is fully paid up to the tune of 1.2 bm
surplus
they want her to pay an extra 3% that goes straight to the govt

she could retire at 60 ,but not any more

the thieves are raiding the pension funds as per maxwell and others

still we're all in it together

the media seem to miss all these facts

stevec1975":g3xnp854 said:
Likewise, there is an assumption that those who did not vote do support the action, why else abstain if it is that important to them.

To be truly representative, not a union driven agenda, the sooner the minimum 50% of members rule comes into these ballots, the better.

The right to strike is firmly entrenched in law and to be applauded, I don't think many people believe it is going to make any difference anyway as there is no money in the pot.

I'd like you to show me someone that assumes no vote is a yes vote. It is not a Union driven agenda, they are simply doing what the members pay them for, protecting conditions.

It already has made a difference. The Government has come back with another offer. Do you think they would have done this if there was no threat of industrial action?

If the 50% rule was imposed I bet you'd find more people voting. Apathy is rife in this country and that in part leads to low turn out, just like in the Elections.

Latest posts

Back