Public sector strikes on Wednesday

rosstheboss":1ylp95qo said:
You're lucky to be able to afford to put 11% of your pay to one side.

I can't really afford it but I always have given up 11% so do not know what it's like to have the extra.

In the UK life expectancy is rising by 1 year every 4 years. So it has risen by 3 years since you started that job.

The proportion of pensioners to working people is set to increase from 27% in 2004 to 48% in 2050.

Www.civilservant.org.uk

brocklanders023":2sxdxi3j said:
rosstheboss":2sxdxi3j said:
You're lucky to be able to afford to put 11% of your pay to one side.

I can't really afford it but I always have given up 11% so do not know what it's like to have the extra.

Er... That's pretty much the definition of being able to afford it. Quite a public sector attitude to money you've got yourself there.

I'm sure no-one was complaining as salaries rose in the good times, not it's time to be a grown-up and accept the consequences like the rest of us.

What job do you do Brocklander? Public sector or private?

I work in construction and, just as an example of the marketplace, one of our biggest clients went pop this week - they've called in the administrators. Thankfully they didn't owe us a great deal of money, although we have had other companies go down owing us upwards of £45k. Companies are being squeezed on budgets and timescales everywhere, not just the public sector. Infact the private sector is suffering far far worse than the public sector in this recession, and they strike about pensions!!! I'm more worried about my wage packet and actually having a job!!!!

I don't have a pension and neither do most of the people I know in the trade -they can't afford one, their main priority is putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads, amidst the constant worry of when the next project will start and on what terms. The terms of employment being constantly changed by main contractors from month to month - as an example most of the main building contractors have recently changed their credit terms from 30 to 60 days - how are supposed to budget for that?!?! Tell your suppliers and employees to suck it up for another month??? Impossible!!!

Strikes achieve nothing, they just piss people off.

brocklanders023":10algp5v said:
Rob Atkin":10algp5v said:
I know I've now got a good deal with my pension.

Tell me Rob, if when you've got a couple of years left before you retire they turn round and tell you you've got to work another 10 years for no extra benifit will you be happy about it?

No-one is having to do that. The government proposed a new offer in October that guaranteed no-one within 10 years of retirement would have to work longer or see their pension income fall - and they would get more generous rates of accrual too.

However, because the unions themselves are far too bothered about their own financial status, they haven't done a new ballot on strike action after these new terms were proposed - it would be too costly. So the strike isn't based on what the Government is now offering. I am guessing that if the people within 10 years of retirement decided not to strike now because they liked the new deal there probably wouldn't be a strike at all. Just a guess though. :-D

As for the older or union types "sticking together" - fewer than 1/3rd of the union members bothered to vote in the ballot. So even 2/3rds of the people who PAY to be members of the union don't think it's an issue worth even voting about.

Rob Atkin":2lihuqqn said:
In the UK life expectancy is rising by 1 year every 4 years. So it has risen by 3 years since you started that job.

The proportion of pensioners to working people is set to increase from 27% in 2004 to 48% in 2050.

Www.civilservant.org.uk

Tell that to my Dad who died a week before his 65th birthday.

I must admit that if they proposed a new pension for new starters I would not be totally against that. New starters would know what they were signing up for, just like I thought I did.

As I asked before, would you be happy if they told you you had to work 10 years longer for less benifit a couple of years before you were set to retire?

The numbers that original pension contributions were calculated did not (and could not) have foreseen the increase in longetivity, I am sure it is any contract that the numbers can be revised, as they have been.

I don't believe it is fair that the private sector, through taxes, pay for the pensions that public sector workers have.

Whatever government is in would have this problem, Labour contributed by poor financial management and allowing the boom and bust phases through light regulation of the financial industry and allowing a proliferation of spending on public sector jobs that the country could not afford, the Conservatives and Lib Dems have not exactly done themselves any favours in the way it is being managed now.

I don't think anyone argues with the needs for cuts, have you seen the figures? The gap between pension contribution and pensions in payments over the next 4 years alone will be £9bn, along with all the other liabilities which have increased, someone has to pay.

The myth that the Public Sector should get a better pension because they get paid less is wholly untrue according to the Hutton Report.

Everyone has made sacrifices (including the bankers) as there are record job losses across the board in this industry at the moment, most bankers affected had nothing to do with the Credit Crunch, just the top percentage, which, as in all walks of life, do not seem to be affected greatly, thats the way it is.

I had a pension once, but a huge American owned multinational stole 8 years worth of contributions.
3 year court battle to recieve 50% of what i'd contributed has left me somewhat short for when i retire.

I'd have been happy to take a 3.2% pay cut to keep what i already owned :? Had my company had the balls to be honest in the first place.

Come and have a winge when you've something to winge about ;)

Back