Public sector strikes on Wednesday

One of the problems with public sector pensions is that they are not all the same.......

Someone of my age group in the fire service works for 30 years to get his pension of 2/3rds salary

I work for 40 years to get 1/2 salary

Not something that's mentioned in the press a lot.......

Shaun

NAILTRAIL96":3gf1f8ge said:
I'm sorry but didn't fire fighters strike following 9/11 asking for a 40% pay increase?.
Did you not take the job knowing what the pay and conditions were?.
Is it ok for you to change your conditions in response to world events but not for anyone else?.
Did fire suddenly become more dangerous?.
Unions need to do some thing and in this day and age there are no shortage of legal firms willing to take on injury/unfair dismissal claims.
You have no need for a union, they need to be needed.
Thats how the game is played, you will get what you going to get.
The government will offer less knowing the unions will ask for more.
You're being naive thinking this is a simple case of you against the system.

I find it disgusting that you suggest the last Ff strike had anything to do with 9/11. As cheesy as it sounds being a Ff is like being in a brotherhood and the death of so many of our number on that terrible day effected us all. You really need to have a look at yourself if you think for one minute we would ever try to profit from such a horrendous tragedy. Shame on you.

The action we took was in response to our wage falling in real terms to others in the Public Service. We came out of it hardly any better off and are now on less in real terms then we were before the action. It was very badly advised and those at the top of our Union paid with their jobs.

As I mentioned before, it is quite clear you have no idea about the bulk of the work the Unions and their reps do.

Midlife":1asyo9z4 said:
One of the problems with public sector pensions is that they are not all the same.......

Someone of my age group in the fire service works for 30 years to get his pension of 2/3rds salary

I work for 40 years to get 1/2 salary

Not something that's mentioned in the press a lot.......

Shaun

But how much do you pay as a % in to yours Shaun?

I'd call a public sector attitude one with an air of entitlement totally divorced from reality, not to mention a hugely over-inflated sense of self worth.

If I put 11% of my salary aside each month i'd have to choose between eating and paying the mortgage. That's what it means to not be able to afford something.

I'm 28, and like most of my peers i've never had a pension, can't afford it. Are you telling me, with a straight face, that despite that I should continue to fund above average pensions for a public sector which serves us so poorly? Maybe I could have more services cut so you can live a bit more comfortably in your old age at my expense. Seriously, many me the people in the public sector don't even know you're born!

brocklanders023":m1vdcmru said:
NAILTRAIL96":m1vdcmru said:
I'm sorry but didn't fire fighters strike following 9/11 asking for a 40% pay increase?.
Did you not take the job knowing what the pay and conditions were?.
Is it ok for you to change your conditions in response to world events but not for anyone else?.
Did fire suddenly become more dangerous?.
Unions need to do some thing and in this day and age there are no shortage of legal firms willing to take on injury/unfair dismissal claims.
You have no need for a union, they need to be needed.
Thats how the game is played, you will get what you going to get.
The government will offer less knowing the unions will ask for more.
You're being naive thinking this is a simple case of you against the system.

I find it disgusting that you suggest the last Ff strike had anything to do with 9/11. As cheesy as it sounds being a Ff is like being in a brotherhood and the death of so many of our number on that terrible day effected us all. You really need to have a look at yourself if you think for one minute we would ever try to profit from such a horrendous tragedy. Shame on you.

The action we took was in response to our wage falling in real terms to others in the Public Service. We came out of it hardly any better off and are now on less in real terms then we were before the action. It was very badly advised and those at the top of our Union paid with their jobs.

As I mentioned before, it is quite clear you have no idea about the bulk of the work the Unions and their reps do.

The last strike did follow 9/11 and It was stated on question time by a union rep that the job was now more dangerous following that day in response to being asked to justify the 40% demand.
Do you really believe you pay had fallen that far behind.
Most are worse off these days and most have some form of pension crisis be it now or at some point in the future.
The union staff are no different.
I'm sorry if you're offended by any of my coments, that was never the intent, we just have very different views on this.
I understand how unions work and what they do, most of it is job creation as they try to change there role in the work place.

Rumble":3e1714w9 said:
I'd call a public sector attitude one with an air of entitlement totally divorced from reality, not to mention a hugely over-inflated sense of self worth.

If I put 11% of my salary aside each month i'd have to choose between eating and paying the mortgage. That's what it means to not be able to afford something.

I'm 28, and like most of my peers i've never had a pension, can't afford it. Are you telling me, with a straight face, that despite that I should continue to fund above average pensions for a public sector which serves us so poorly? Maybe I could have more services cut so you can live a bit more comfortably in your old age at my expense. Seriously, many me the people in the public sector don't even know you're born!
I'd disagree with a huge chunk of that, and I've worked in the private sector for about 16 years.

Yes, many moons ago, I did work for a government department, and during that time, was a member of a very decent pension scheme.

When I went to work in the private sector, the first company I worked for also had a very decent, final salary, pension scheme. I paid into that - and I've continued to pay into decent pension schemes all the time I've worked in the private sector.

Yes, life would be good to not have to pay out that chunk of money, every month, to fund a pension - but it's a priority that some seem to defer. Now some will talk about affordability - but I've worked alongside people earning roughly the same amounts, who've never paid into pension schemes, and when questioned, they've said things like they can't afford it. Personally, I've never viewed the expense as an option - I've viewed it like tax - and essential deduction from my wages, that should fund my retirement life - or at least would, if the people in charge of it (both public and private sector) hadn't dipped into and squandered big chunks of the funds.

But you see, that's how pension schemes are supposed to work - enforced saving - in a way, just like mortgages - because in general, people can't be trusted to provide and save over long periods - and think of the long view, so regimented, enforced solutions are generally needed.

From where I'm sat, I don't resent the public sector people their pension schemes - they were what was contractual and agreed when they commenced employment. Now pragmatically, when things change, compromise has to be made at some point - but all the same, I suspect private sector staff would fight tooth and nail if / when their decent / final salary pension schemes are assailed.

There's lots of unfounded rhetoric spouted by some about the private sector not approving where the taxes are going to fund public sector pensions - but the politics of envy should not affect this - and I'm sure there's lots of funding choices we could all hugely argue over.

The Hutton report did make a point over this - the pensions aren't unaffordable - they're just unfair to some. The problem is that "unfair" always requires perspective - and when people start examining the income, benefits, and lifestyle of those benefiting from public sector pensions, they get a bit touchy when poignant questions are asked of them.

Brocklanders......I'd have to look but currently just shy of 9% I think and due to go up by 2.4% next year.

I realise it's a few percent less than you, but you do work 10 years less for yours and you get 2/3rd's salary.

Shaun

Rob Atkin":37xhg2pw said:
The ageing population would have happened no matter what government was in or what had happened in economy

But why has it taken 30 years to actually prepare society for this mess?

We talked about this happening when we did geography in third year.... when I was 13! I've not expected to retire at 65 since then.

Party politics really has nothing to do with it as we've had both parties in power for long periods of time in the period inbetween. And noone has done anything about it - anywhere in the world as far as I can see. It's an issue in Denmark aswell.

Back