Polishing a painted frame....

-=Mint_sauce=-

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I have a '94 kona fire mountain, and instead of doing the usual, I'd like to do something different.

Is it at all possible to strip it back with something like nitromors and then polish the frame? Is there such a thing as clear powdercoat?

Thanks in advance for info!

Is a 94 Fire Mountain steel ?, sorry not an expert on Kona's

Not sure about clear powdercoat but if it's steel you could strip it back and clear laquer it, Nitromorse is the stuff for stripping paint though ;)

Welcome to the site. Yes it is possible to strip and polish steel frames. The problem you will face is the welds and brazes will be a different colour and finish. I like that look but you may not. Be warned before you start-its a laborious job

Has been done, there was a bike on here a while ago but that was fillet brazed and the brass in the joints was on show :cool: , a steel Kona Fire Mountain will probably just look grey, preperation needs to be meticulous if it's being done though.

Thanks for the replies people, and thanks for the welcome!

Sounds like it might be more sensible for me to get it powder coated in a cool colour instead!

Any suggestions for something that may look cool with some anodised bits?

Thinking either cream or black with cream decals!

SEANSTEPHENS":3fkgztjk said:
dont do that, its 90% garunteed to get rusty. laquer doesnt stick to bare metal- just paint

i have a friend who refurbishes alloy wheels and he has laquer that will stich to polished alloy and has a 2 year guarantee. i cant see why it wont work on steel. i might try it on my saracen that nobody wants to buy!

Back