Orange Team Riders, anyone know?

pencilman77

Retro Guru
Bit of curiosity for me this really,
Does anyone know who used to ride for Orange back in the early 90's (up to 94)?

Both male and female professionals please as i'm doing some background research with a view to some builds im considering.

Junior, Simon Kipling, Kevin Sabiston, Vets,- Jeff Standley and Sam cook, Pro Elite Women JanetWilkinson, obviously there are a lot more over the years, but these are some of the riders i remember from the early Malverns era, obviously you have Lester and Steve as well.

The did have a rider that rode in orange colours that came over from south Africa (i think) but i cant remember his name im afraid.

And Les Lloyd was riding Overburys at the time and Not Orange as some remembered in other threads.

Retro Spud":1l3ep0b2 said:
Sally Hibberd ?

The sponsorship deals changed over the seasons, from memory, didnt Sally and Isla race under the Zinn/Trailerbikes flag as well as others..?

What i liked about Orange was simply the Kit, i cant imagine the kit was the first thought when building the brand, but the Orange and white along with the kit was everywhere, or it always seemed so, Privateer racers and Pro riders in a field of sometimes hundreds all waiting for the gun to go off, the scramble, and then the long line of XC racers stretching for miles in the distance, as far as the eye can see.

I've commented so many times on different threads, that it gave the impression of the "dominating force", and it really did, intentional marketing or not, with sponsored riders as well as privateer racers all wearing it, it was quite a sight to behold.

It certainly did the trick, and inevitably left a lasting impression. How many UK brands are now left.....? A brand that certainly won the hearts and minds of many, for sure.

To be honest Carl I don’t know, Sally runs the local Cyclo cross and turned up once wearing what she told me was her old race kit and at last years Malvern classic in the legends race she wore it again.

Admittedly I could be putting two and two together and coming up with five.

Retro Spud":s8gxbpga said:
To be honest Carl I don’t know, Sally runs the local Cyclo cross and turned up once wearing what she told me was her old race kit and at last years Malvern classic in the legends race she wore it again.

Admittedly I could be putting two and two together and coming up with five.

Im certainly no expert on the subject and i, like you would have no reason to doubt her, my comment of Zinn was simply of one of her sponsors in her time, much like Debs and many others.

Sally Hibberd rode for Specialized early on I think, 89 UK champs?. She was also definitely riding for Zinn around 92 and then the MBUK team. Don't remember her riding for Orange tbh, but my memory is a bit hazy like others.

Re:

If you are thinking of the frame I've sent you mate the chap I got it from (Who lived in Crag Vale, near Halifax, near Orange) Said it originally came from a female British champion. The frame is a 1992 so that should guide the convo a bit. Tiny too so the rider must have been small.

Latest posts

Back