On balance, I still am not a fan of e-bikes (previously known as ‘I just don’t get E bikes’)

My brother who rides a pedal bike in NYC. suffered a concussion, and has a knee problem. He was hit from the side by a fast moving electric scooter ( basically an electric skateboard with handle bar riser). The rider ran a stop sign and collided with my brother who was emerging in the bike lane form behind a row of stopped vehicles. It was a hit and run, and the police didn't bother to take a report. My brother says people are riding anything with a motor. Hoverboards, Segways, Single wheel boards and anything else you can think of. So in tight urban areas there is a very real problem. Of course limiting Ebikes without controlling all the other devices won't help much. Almost all of those other types can't stop from high speeds. Unfortunately city dwellers seem to think they know what's good for everyone else. Long distances, and strong winds apply where I ride (like climbing a mountain that has no peak). I have a legitimate need at times for 1000 Watts of power.

Back