On balance, I still am not a fan of e-bikes (previously known as ‘I just don’t get E bikes’)

And if you read the article there were no incidents reported it was purely precautionary.
indeed - I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

Novocaine make a very valid point about protocols.
We have very high capacity Stihl batteries for professional chainsaws and these have brilliant, sophisticated chargers.
Likewise Makita power tools.

indeed - I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

Novocaine make a very valid point about protocols.
We have very high capacity Stihl batteries for professional chainsaws and these have brilliant, sophisticated chargers.
Likewise Makita power tools.
That's just how the Swabians are. Thorough through and through.

I've only had one charger go pop - and that was for some Chinese bike lights. Thankfully, they are nearly all usb charged nowadays.

Genuine question …. What do ebike owners do when they want an impromptu ride and they’ve not charged the bike?

Is there a quick charge or similar?

I run electronic groupsets in a couple of bikes and it’s only caught me out once but I’ve got multiple bikes which I can ride.

Genuine question …. What do ebike owners do when they want an impromptu ride and they’ve not charged the bike?

Is there a quick charge or similar?

I run electronic groupsets in a couple of bikes and it’s only caught me out once but I’ve got multiple bikes which I can ride.
Take the proper bike. I use my ebike for commuting, as a car alternative. Actual bike rides, for fun or exercise are on a normal bike. That's just me.

Up to 20 mile rides I can take my XComfort bike (Vintage XC Sofftail with slicks). The hard part is moving the anti theft gear over from the Ebike. The wheels and fork on the XC Race bike are much more worth stealing. Also the big lock negates a lot of the advantage. But once I do that I'll probably ride it for a week or so. There is no fast charger. 2A is the normal charger, and 4A is an added cost option. I may get an extra set of locking skewers and headset cap for the XC due to that. maybe it's own smaller folding lock too.

Last edited:
Back