Old frames. Can they cut it today

glpinxit":11i4rfgl said:
Bats, I don't know where you've got your numbers from. My 531C frame is spot on 2Kg, my 753 is 1.8Kg and forks around 700g for both and they build up to 10Kg bikes. Or you can shave a kilo by spending a lot more on lighter wheels, fancy sprockets and so on. A good carbon frame is under 1Kg and forks under 400g. The UCI minimum weight is 6.8Kg or 15lb and you will have spent space programme $,€ or £ to get anywhere close to that with a steel frame.

However, with steel you get comfort, the satisfaction of knowing an artisan brazed your frame and the confidence that you won't write it off if it falls over on a windy day. And my personal satisfaction comes from the history and not feeling like I have to chase a time on every segment.

753 has rarely been bettered, and gives a lovely ride. Its Achilles heel is the need for a really skilled builder in order to get the most from it.

I like my current steel road steed (Raleigh Special Products 853), but am currently finding training rides a literal uphill struggle. I very strongly suspect the blame lies with the rider not the bike (either hills are bigger up here* than when I lived "down south" or else I've seriously lost my climbing mojo)! :(

David

*For the most part, heading westwards out of Loughborough basically entails slogging up the remnants of an extinct volcano**, which explains a lot.
**Not in a dramatic Puy de Dome 1964-edition Anquetil vs. Poulidor way, though.

Weakest, Heaviest and least aero.

Dunno why anyone with less than 5w/kilo, 1200w in a stage finish sprint or more than 10% body fat even cares.

bm0p700f":3cna1ig5 said:
No body call 7kg heavy, you have been over to weight weenies then have you?

Is that where all the mamils go to moan about their wife making them settle for a bike instead of a big red sports car? I'll pass.

mattr":1fg85g0l said:
Weakest, Heaviest and least aero.

You've posted that in the wrong area. Comments about Rooney should go in the World Cup thread on "General & Off-Topic". ;)

David

My 2p

I ride audax on a 1986, 8 speed Columbus SL steel bike that cost £750.00 and I keep up easily with people on all sorts of titanium and carbon bikes that cost thousands. They look at me sideways funny on my 28 year old bike, but it gets a lot of positive comments and I love riding it because it's a nice bike,it looks good and fits me well.

If you're worried about your bike being a kilo or two heavier than the carbon bikes, loose it off your arse it's cheaper.

It's no good having a £5000.00 bike if you've only got 50p legs.

bugloss":4izanbr3 said:
My 2p

I ride audax on a 1986, 8 speed Columbus SL steel bike that cost £750.00 and I keep up easily with people on all sorts of titanium and carbon bikes that cost thousands. They look at me sideways funny on my 28 year old bike, but it gets a lot of positive comments and I love riding it because it's a nice bike,it looks good and fits me well.
maybe, but I would say either those you ride with are of limited ability, or it's not a hilly area or you are somewhat gifted. I can keep up on the chain gang on the flat bits on a steel bike with guards, when I get to the hills, of which there are many here, I'm stuffed.

If you're worried about your bike being a kilo or two heavier than the carbon bikes, loose it off your arse it's cheaper.
the sensible answer, but I wouldn't want to eat and train like a pro to mix it with 4th cats. Lifestyle changes are massive efforts. I like my ale.

It's no good having a £5000.00 bike if you've only got 50p legs.
Again quite right, but I take no shame in a bit of indulgence. Boys n toys an all that. I have no illusions of cutting it for this years tour.

Check out the Bryan Chapman Memorial Audax. It's 600 km's in a weekend and 8500 m of climbing It's both very long and very hilly.

I rode it with 180 others, but it's not something you attempt with limited ability. Or last weeks ride 600 km's from Tournai in Belgium to Longwy and back, again very long and very hilly.
So no, the people I generally ride with at the moment are of fairly high ability.

pigman":3j3cgc8p said:
I can keep up on the chain gang on the flat bits on a steel bike with guards, when I get to the hills, of which there are many here, I'm stuffed.
more likely that you can't climb,rather than a reflection on the bike

Re:

By ability, I meant intensity, not all-day fitness. I know some guys who rode pbp and LEL, yet they can't cut it on a 50 mile ride with the gang.

You're right, I can't climb, but I'd stake money on being even further behind on my steel bike

This thread reminds me of an old boy who bought his cortina in the 80's and is adamant that its as good as any car today. I think not - a modern car is safer, more economical, has better ergonomics, performance etc etc

I like steel bikes, they have a special place in my heart, but I'm not deluding myself into thinking speed and performance wise they are up there with carbon. If they were, pinarello would issue steel bikes to tour riders.

Back