Old frames. Can they cut it today

Blinks

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

Not a post to wind everyone up. I'm after a bit of advice really.

I have an old cannondale synapse carbon. It's the original with pace stays.

I bought it off eBay and unfortunately it's a little big.

I'm wondering should I go new or go for a older secondhand steel frame but was wondering if older frames still compete with new technologies.

I'm pretty new to road cycling but do belong to a club and like anyone else I want to go as fast as I can :)

I do tend to lean to older things.

Just wondering what way I should go. I have a max of about £500 and will need to go for a 56cm centre to centre.

With older frames are measurements the same as on an older frame?

Appreciate any help. I would like a frame that will be the last one I buy so hope to make it right.

Cheers,

Re:

Well, judging by the number of roadies on new carbon/ally I overtake on my late 80s Ian May steel bike, I'd say they compete pretty well. ;)

Re:

That's great :) Just a bit worried I will end up buying something heavy and end up regretting it.

Re:

If we are talking about frames and their affect , that can be minimal. Something good like 531 will probably be better than many modern steel frames, many of which are nothing special and can be heavy. Not all but that means more than your budget.
Where you may notice it , depending on your weight, fitness and riding style is stiffness. My alloy CX bike is stiffer to ride than my 531 bikes. Not in a bad way, just that things don't flex as much. By modern standards a modern bike will generally feel better but that may not be needed. I pooh poohed the stiffness thing until I road a modern bike. Now I miss it. Other things to consider will be the rest of the bike. Older forks will have a 1" headset and be threaded. Again the do flex in comparison to modern stuff. again that may not be an issue.
If I was going the classic way I would be doing it properly with good quality kit that I was proud of. will you be feeling unhappy when trying to justify your choice of bike to your mates with modern stuff. I rather enjoy being different but do you?
Just re read your post. what you have is not what I am calling older. Its a modern bike although not the most. Buy a classic steel frame and it will feel different.
Why not just sell the bike and look around for something newer. Look for a bike with a decent frame that carries on up the range but with lower spec bits. Upgrade them as you can.

A couple of years ago I was steadily riding along and up from behind was a guy on a carbon bike,
just ahead was a very steep hill and I caught him up and passed him! As I said 'C'mon' he replied
'I cant' - so I rode with him at that time he told me why he couldn't give it the beans up the hill,
He said the rear wheel flex's so much that the tyre rubbed on the stay badly and you can see the
carbon stays flexing too! Told him to get himself a decent 80's - 90's steel bike.

Re:

If it is any help I think you will be surprised how fast you are on an old steel bike.
I've got a 1970's "gas pipe" Raleigh, I'm the wrong side of 45, not the fittest among my mates, but on some local Strava sectors I've managed several top 50 places and a few top 10 places on leaderboards of 200-300 riders. I even had a King of the Mountain on one sector for nearly a year. And I figure that quite a few of the riders above me on the leaderboards must be 20 yrs younger and riding ultralight carbon bikes, so I'm quite happy with my efforts. I still want to be quicker but I have no yearning for a modern lightweight bike. My only modern bike is a steel framed Planet X which is actually heavier than my old Raleigh.

-----
Bruce

Re:

There is a world of difference between my modern carbon bike and a steel bike. With the carbon you just press on and it goes.

Phrases like 'i ride steel and overtook a guy on carbon, so steel is better' is to put it bluntly, crap. The difference is down to the rider. I often get overtaken going uphill. But I'm a poor climber. Put me on a steel bike and I'd be further back still.

If you want a steel frame cos of the history/craftsmanship/originality/romance/etc then go for it. Carbon frames are industrial bits of kit with no emotive connotations

Don't buy those rock-bottom Chinese carbon frames found on eBay shops. There are all sorts of quality issues

And don't dismiss a good alloy frame like a caad10 or canyon which can cut it for racing

hi, science has kind of cloned the shape of modern bikes be they ally or carbon and the synapses is no exeption
and even the madison genesis 953[stainless steal] has the sloping top tube.
having the correct size frame is important and may even feel like a new dimension from your existing even if you
used another synapses ,im sure your old frame and forks could fetch at least 200 if you wanted to tranfer some of the stuff to a new one. my thoughts turn to a recent topic 'merckx mx leader' the guy has read and targeted
that frame set in his size then gone out and searched for a year .i did the same with a budget 531 carrera which cost £140 ,so you have plenty of scope to buy with a view to sell and form comparisons.when i got my italian steely the sensation was amazing, a kind of springyness which sprung me up hills seated ! it was as if the frame was a friend with a mind of its own thanking me for fitting campag components. ;)

Re:

As already mentioned, it's down to the rider how well the bike goes . But for feel , I have an '07 Trek carbon , stupid light , a bit stiff feel everything on the road due to the weight .
I've had a '00 Giant alloy , very stiff , light couldn't ride it all day . Got a '12 Bob Jackson steel , nice , more forgiving but heavier than the carbon , and now a '93 Raleigh titanium , very comfy , no road buzz . Love it .
Plus , if you are not exremely fit , it won't be so embarrasing if you get caught . Really good when you catch someone on an old bike too :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

I race and TT on a 92 sannino with record 10 speed and modern deep section wheels. I do have trouble keeping up but that is more to with a need for more training. I ride various 90's frames and have no trouble out running most on newer bikes. Even my old 1980 Alan is not a slow bike once I wind up my rubber band.

Modern low spoke wheels help on an older frame to make it a bit easier to hold speed as does modern low Crrr rubber. A fit rider helps too.

A fle

Back