New Project '59 Experto Crede

Thank you. Much appreciated. :)

Lovely Hetchins, @Jez Nemeth ! Great paint job, too. Love that colour!

I have indeed built a number of tourers with Campagnolo Ergo brake shifters. Old (pre-2001) 9-speed shifters pull exactly the right amount of cable per click for a Shimano SIS rear mech to work with the 5.5mm spacing of 5 and 6-speed gear blocks. The left shifter is not indexed but uses a ratcheting system, and will work with any front changer that will cover the width of your chainset. I've had no problems shifting triples, like on this Roy Thame:

Here's a Gazelle I'm currently playing with. The touring version of the Champion Mondial. In this case I used 8-speed Ergo shifters, which also work with the so-called hubbub cable routing. A neat little trick to achieve the correct cable pull. Read all about it, and your other mix-and-match options here: A guide to rear shifting.
Really good article that one thx mate - Thanks for info too

Now looking for some Ergo shifters -so what would be a good set up here rear mech particularly?
Front mech -Gran sport may be the upgrade route for that one.

Pretty sure it's a screw on cassette way out back -I'll check...

Sorry about your holiday 😕 I think if you love a particular frame and want to use it there is nothing wrong with sympathetic modernization. How far you go is up to you. Yes, you could ride it with 50s parts, it wouldn't be as nice a ride though.
Jo always says it's rider's choice how a frame is built up and she's right. Originally part's would wear out and would be replaced. I think the ergo levers lend themselves well to such a conversion. Mafac or Weinmann centre pulls would work. If you want really modern nutted deep drop dual pivots are available. Which would compliment the ergos.
Sorted the brakes -got some cheepo BMX units, scavenged them for their strong nickel plated springs and shiny bits/bolts -fit perfectly too, think they'll be fine....Totally agree those Centre pull Mafac Brakes are pretty tiptop though -always found them 'plug, play and forget' - do like them. Resillions are just tooo much fuss, and were not looking in that direction for upgrades. ;)

Yup could ride with 50's bits, but we're no longer in the 50's -and stuff that works efficiently on modern roads would be pref I rekkon, retro smug only get ya so far ;)

So with that thinking -what component would I be wanting to replace at the 100 mile mark?

BTW -Your Mrs not a Jo as well GIGFY?

Update! We are going on our bargain bucket holiday again -5 days instead of 7... Put it succinctly (and crudely), Jo chewed a nut off those nice folx at Easy-jet and in a desperate effort to preserve the other one, they've granted all her demands without quibble. Go Jo!

So -these the ones? -or need 9's?
Campagnolo Record 8 Speed Ergo Levers Shifters - 1993
Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 10.33.59.png

These may be the ones...Record too -

Campagnolo Record Ergopower Shifters Brake Lever 9 Speed (AL3)
View attachment 867157

Those look lovely. '97 Record, methinks. The only year for 9-speed with pointy hoods for Record. While the later, more rounded levers may be a bit lighter and more ergonomic, I prefer the more classic looks of these.

Combine them with a Shimano SIS derailleur of the era and Robert's your uncle. Most of my Shimergo'd bikes are equipped with long cage Deore LX mechs. They work well, can handle the chain wrap required for a wide gear range and they are affordable.

Their only drawback , if it is that, is that that they are not all silver. Perhaps a lick of leftover paint from the frame ...

Here's another example. This one features '95 8-speed Athena levers, linked to a Deore LX with the hubbub cable routing:

symmetry.jpg

Done...Gulp... The Mrs l'tear me a new one if she finds out...still, one more step towards Bicycle Nirvana!
Thanx Mr Non-Fixie Sir...

LX, the old LX -seem to remember my first A1 Rockhopper had LX way back there -dear goodness that was a pretty bike...Was staring at me everytime I went past the bicycle shop in Heathfield Sussex, guy did me a deal so I could pay over 4 months...

Seem to remember the LX/STX stuff working pretty well -I do strangely have a long cage XT hanging round -would that supplement, does look a bit modern though...well, 90's anyway.

Back