New Project '59 Experto Crede

I'll push on with the B17 -secret ingredient to softening the thing is Olive oil on the underside, goes like flexible plastic for a time and quite 'bum friendly' while reshaping to yer individual contours, already starting to get comfy second ride in since reset! ;)

Last edited:
For instance let's say for arguement's sake somebody's sit bones are 165mm -ish.

You'll be able to give birth to twins with that width. :)

On a more serious note, a B17 will probably work well enough. I never bothered measuring, but just tried a few saddles. The result being I ended up with B17's on most of my touring bikes and Professionals on my racing machines.

And the odd Idéale, but that's because they look sexy and I am vain enough to mind. :cool:

Comfort over long distances isn't just about width, or bum shape, can be as perfectly shaped to yer tail pipe as you like - but ability to absorb road chatter and dreaded pot holes is right up there on my scale of 1-10 in rear end happiness. Flex or springs even? Brooks do a sprung range
they worth thinking about here for a retro tourer? ... Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 19.40.51.png !!!

Comfort over long distances isn't just about width, or bum shape, can be as perfectly shaped to yer tail pipe as you like - but ability to absorb road chatter and dreaded pot holes is right up there on my scale of 1-10 in rear end happiness. Flex or springs even? Brooks do a sprung range
they worth thinking about here for a retro tourer?

I have a Brooks Conqueror, which I have toured with in the somewhat distant past. Not bad, IIRC.

1k0_a60915c97ede84777ccc88f91bdca2508a186d0f.jpg

Earlier this summer I toured for a week on a sprung Idéale 76. Nice saddle.

IMG_20240611_110145373_HDR~2.jpg

My conclusions so far: sprung saddles do soak up the bumps better, but tend to squeak rather annoyingly in the process. They also have a distinct vintage cyclo-touriste look that doesn't work well on every bike IMO.

Perfect trials for those saddles -the Brooks -looks like you're halfway down the West Coast of France + Normandy with the Ideale (what a stunning looking thing that is, sits well with those hammered French mudguards )...very jealous/inspired by those rides mr Fixie...Basically, it's the type of long distance riding I'm wanting with this bike.

The Brooks Flyer, effectively a B17 with springs would be the one to choose i think -Some, like you say can look odd, seem to fit rod braked commuter bikes of the 40's onwards well though.

They Squeek? That could be a deal breaker, hour on hour -can see how that would be a consideration over a multi-day ride, and the roads aren't getting any better.

Only way is to trail one as you've done -so far the Hetchins with its new setup has done a bit over 100 miles in short rides, which is nothing really. The consideration is I'm heavy for my size, always have been and that's a lot of weight to be focused on a small patch of leather.

I should put a few more miles on that B17 and see how we get on.

Last edited:
How much weight you put on the saddle is affected by the handlebar height (and reach)
I wouldn't recommend a sprung saddle with drops, or a narrow saddle with allround bars.

Those two responses make good sense certainly both of you -thx

Bars have me forward 60 deg or less, little more relaxed than road racing position, but not upright. So probably about spot for touring purposes and putting in the miles, been tweeking and tuning last couple of weeks on it. Ended up with that look that many old bikes get of being for a tall rider.

Last edited:
Back