New Project '59 Experto Crede

I remember the Viscount make, knew a lad who had one too, classy bit of kit. Another cracking project, doing the research is big part, knowing specs etc...Turned out an absolute bute, See the Mrs bike is a Specialized too -similar to Jo's Myka Sport. That evolution from the early A1 Rock hoppers still there... Remember having a steel Rockhopper then FSR Rockhopper with the fox baked bean can suspension unit behind the seatpost...crikey that was a long time ago...

Right -off for a week in the morning, Jo nabbed a last min super cheapo holiday, so packing, not got our camper 'Fritz' this year -ripped it apart and welded all new panels, but not finished yet, so Turkey, back next Thursday and get on with the build -ordered coloured cable outers (brown to suit) should be here when we get back. Will post updates -thanks for all advice GiGFY...been great intro, thx mate

Yes, he builds nice bicycles.

Thank you. Much appreciated. :)

Lovely Hetchins, @Jez Nemeth ! Great paint job, too. Love that colour!

I have indeed built a number of tourers with Campagnolo Ergo brake shifters. Old (pre-2001) 9-speed shifters pull exactly the right amount of cable per click for a Shimano SIS rear mech to work with the 5.5mm spacing of 5 and 6-speed gear blocks. The left shifter is not indexed but uses a ratcheting system, and will work with any front changer that will cover the width of your chainset. I've had no problems shifting triples, like on this Roy Thame:

db9b8953-24b0-40b3-981e-4973f32fa61d.jpg

Here's a Gazelle I'm currently playing with. The touring version of the Champion Mondial. In this case I used 8-speed Ergo shifters, which also work with the so-called hubbub cable routing. A neat little trick to achieve the correct cable pull. Read all about it, and your other mix-and-match options here: A guide to rear shifting.

IMG_20240708_211539333_HDR.jpg

Back in the room. Just like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Easy-jet for making it possible for me being at home this morning rather than holiday for a week, and what a nice 10 hour visit to Bristol Airport, as modern Airports go it's up there. Never liked the idea of contributing to global emissions anyway. . . the Mrs however wants to murder someone, bit between her teeth -ex Rock chick, Comms organiser for BBC for years...hate to be in her firing line...F^@£*ng glad she's on my team -that's all I'll say.

Wow! Fabulous bikes! That article is superbly written. University Research papers could learn a thing or two about writing when the contributor has enthusiasm for the subject and genuinely wants to impart gained knowledge -rather than chasing down grant money. Really enjoyed it, and makes sense.

To make the bike usable may have to ditch some bits I thought were going to stay -GB Brakes, Campy Gen 1 front mech may swop up to a smoother Gran Sport as GIGFY advised -have a few Gen 1 Campy records though. . .

Gazelle is very similar (that TA Specialites Crankset looks familiar) -You folx have much better knowledge of what combinations work, look good and work smoothly than I do. Happy to defer to your knowledge of things -and hopefully learn and benefit from it ;)

I'd be cobbling together old worn/semi-worn out heavy 50's gear, and pay extortionate prices for the privilege of using said worn-out kit ...so happy to run with, modernise and make the bike usable for the next 40 years at least...

Sorry about your holiday 😕 I think if you love a particular frame and want to use it there is nothing wrong with sympathetic modernization. How far you go is up to you. Yes, you could ride it with 50s parts, it wouldn't be as nice a ride though.
Jo always says it's rider's choice how a frame is built up and she's right. Originally part's would wear out and would be replaced. I think the ergo levers lend themselves well to such a conversion. Mafac or Weinmann centre pulls would work. If you want really modern nutted deep drop dual pivots are available. Which would compliment the ergos.

Latest posts

Back