New Breezer MTB's

kaiser said:
tell me what a new bike has to do/be to sell and be a success in your opinion?
tintin40":1n510gxn said:
Nothing. I wouldn't cycle if all had to ride are moderns. I'm very lucky to have taken up MTBing in the late 80's till early 90's

I realise that every one of us is different, and will have different views on just about anything - however, I (like you) started riding mountain bikes in the late eighties (I was a lot older than you were though :oops: ) and, like you, had some great times then - I was young(ish) and racing and getting some reasonable results. What was there not to like?

But that was then and this is now (as my kids used to say :roll: ) and, although I still have my bikes from back then, I can't unfortunately re-create that time simply by riding only them. In fact, I think that one of the best things about having ridden for twenty-odd years is seeing new ideas and technologies help the bike and riding experience to evolve and improve.
So, although some might think that by mainly riding a rigid, steel framed singlespeed I'm kind of contradicting myself, I'm very open to any and all new developments in the mtb world.
I ride what some might see as a fairly primitive bike because, for some reason, it suits me - physically, emotionally, I really don't know why. However, I believe that for an old fart I still ride it pretty well.
But, if my ideal bike wasn't available to me then I'd ride anything (modern or old), rather than not ride at all. Ultimately, for me, the ride is more important than the bike.

Anthony":2nc8scm4 said:
kaiser":2nc8scm4 said:
Breezer has some 29ers coming out too, with some new ideas on geometry.
I haven't seen those, but actually the 29er concept is much more of a piece with the Breezer heritage than a kick-ass 26er.

My image of Joe Breeze is of somebody who rides fast, but in a gentle way. Somehow I don't picture Joe Breeze kicking anybody's ass except through speed.

Theres been some claims made about the best climbing 29er ever, which has caused some speculation. I believe its based on short chain stays but I'm not sure about the front end.

tintin40":4nu47cul said:
kaiser said:

Nothing. I wouldn't cycle if all had to ride are moderns. I'm very lucky to have taken up MTBing in the late 80's till early 90's

Amd now to have found this site so that i can relive those wonderful times
[/quote]

You wouldn't cycle if all you had to ride was a modern? Really?

Andy R":25my8ixt said:
tintin40":25my8ixt said:
I wouldn't cycle if all had to ride are moderns. I'm very lucky to have taken up MTBing in the late 80's till early 90's
I realise that every one of us is different, and will have different views on just about anything - however, I (like you) started riding mountain bikes in the late eighties (I was a lot older than you were though :oops: ) and, like you, had some great times then - I was young(ish) and racing and getting some reasonable results. What was there not to like?

But that was then and this is now (as my kids used to say :roll: ) and, although I still have my bikes from back then, I can't unfortunately re-create that time simply by riding only them. In fact, I think that one of the best things about having ridden for twenty-odd years is seeing new ideas and technologies help the bike and riding experience to evolve and improve.
So, although some might think that by mainly riding a rigid, steel framed singlespeed I'm kind of contradicting myself, I'm very open to any and all new developments in the mtb world.
I ride what some might see as a fairly primitive bike because, for some reason, it suits me - physically, emotionally, I really don't know why. However, I believe that for an old fart I still ride it pretty well.
But, if my ideal bike wasn't available to me then I'd ride anything (modern or old), rather than not ride at all. Ultimately, for me, the ride is more important than the bike.
tintin40 is a true retrobiker and I am not, but I respect him for it. I once saw him snake off a treacherous trail (lateral sloping roots under wet leaves) and as he crashed he threw himself into a tree rather than damage his bike. I've never seen anybody else do that. And he hurt his head and he is too retro to wear a helmet. So I understand him saying what he says.

And as for your bike being primitive, I expect it has at least Vs if not discs, spd pedals, grippy modern tyres and I know it is tubeless cos you told me so. All adds up to quite a lot of benefits from technological progress there, and yet still preserving the ethos of retro biking in that you find it well suited to the kind of riding you did BITD and still do now.

Which is hopefully what Joe Breeze is doing as well.

kaiser":1wmp35g1 said:
tintin40":1wmp35g1 said:
kaiser said:

[/quote][/quote]

100% honest. I hate bumping into moderns when out in the Surrey Downs. Those that ride with me now think i'm Mr Angry of mtbing.

Anthony":w09a3wwo said:
tintin40 is a true retrobiker and I am not, but I respect him for it. I once saw him snake off a treacherous trail (lateral sloping roots under wet leaves) and as he crashed he threw himself into a tree rather than damage his bike. I've never seen anybody else do that. And he hurt his head and he is too retro to wear a helmet. So I understand him saying what he says.

And as for your bike being primitive, I expect it has at least Vs if not discs, spd pedals, grippy modern tyres and I know it is tubeless cos you told me so. All adds up to quite a lot of benefits from technological progress there, and yet still preserving the ethos of retro biking in that you find it well suited to the kind of riding you did BITD and still do now.

Which is hopefully what Joe Breeze is doing as well.

All true Anthony, and I wasn't trying to rubbish anyone's choices and preferences - as I said, it's what makes us such a diverse lot and that can be nothing but a good thing in my book.
You're right about my bike too - discs (of course......), modern tyres, SPD pedals - all that stuff.
The one difference between my riding BITD and now is that I ride far more technical, steep and sketchy terrain than 20 years ago. Part of that is down to bike set-up and part because when you're doing a fair bit of racing every ride tends to be a flat out, head down "training ride" (well, it was for me anyway).

I'm enjoying my riding more now than I ever did, which is cool.

tintin40":ghi8csmz said:
kaiser":ghi8csmz said:
tintin40":ghi8csmz said:
kaiser said:

100% honest. I hate bumping into moderns when out in the Surrey Downs. Those that ride with me now think i'm Mr Angry of mtbing.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Well each to their own, where do you draw the line though? Did you not have a frame bedecked with modern components?

The retro/modern "debate" is crazy. There's room for both. There are great modern bikes and crap retro bikes, and vice versa - ride the good 'uns and leave the shit in the shed.
I've got a friend who's a "retrobiker". He's 74 years old and rides a Cannondale Gemini from 2001 and a Giant Trance he bought from me in '08. That's proper! A hard as nails old guy who's moved with the times and appreciates the benefits of new technology rather than getting stuck in a rut and grumbling. Life's like riding a bike - as soon as you stop moving, you fall over.

Well each to their own, where do you draw the line though? Did you not have a frame bedecked with modern components?[/quote]

Only the gearing/pedals. If i could get XC Pro rear mechs to work then i'd fit them. I will replace modern parts as and when i find good vintage parts. I wont wait for vintage parts before i ride. Also a 2010 inline seat pin is basically the same as a 1993 USE ti inline. A 1993 Trimble rides the same if it has SRAM X0 or vintage correct XC Pro. All my forks are vintage correct so all angles are the same.

Back