Missy Giove arrested on pot charges

gibbleking":tb9bxzrv said:
im rather annoyed at her for this...fond memories of past fame chucked away for drugs...hope she makes her family proud for this one. :twisted:

Thats a bit harsh
it is only marijuana after all.

Thought i agree ,her family must be very upset

She should've retired to the Netherlands with their drug's policy...but it's probably too flat for a downhill biker! :LOL:

I met her randomly in a pub in Fort William a couple of years ago, i literally couldn't belive my eyes! I plucked up the courage to go speak to her and you couldn't meet a nicer person!
We talked bikes for 5 Mins, then she waxed on about how much she loves Scottish people. Then she signed my XC race course map and i slinked off.
Bit off topic but i just remembered when i read this :D
Bit sad that she's turned to dealing drugs, i'd have bought her a pint if i knew she was skint!

TSC.":itlvejzs said:
To be fair to myself, this is exactly the reason why I didn't bother becoming a world champion in any of the MTB disciplines. I didn't want it to change me & eventually end up on a road involving drugs & prison terms.

That's my excuse anyway.

same here.... that and the mid ride pies, they became very moreish :shock:

John

LeeDevelopment":2mcyqhaf said:
she should have stuck with the sport a'la Kathy Sessler and kept the income coming in instead of turning to drugs.

That's the issue. It's often struck me how perilous it must have been to be a pro in a relatively new sport.

More lucrative and established sports like football [soccer] only have room for a few ageing pros to carry on their careers within the game.

I guess options are limited for a retro MTB racer. True, some are still doing the wang [there was a great Mike Kloser article linked on here recently], but the fact that geeks like us remember the glory days doesn't pay the bills - or provide the thrills.

So, should we all subscribe to an old pro benevolent fund? Nah. But I've got a certain sympathy. After all: she was a downhiller - a risk taker.

She shouldn't have got caught, though - keeping your stash in a van on the drive? That's worse than falling off - it's like forgetting to check that your brakes work.

utahdog2003":2d0g0zr2 said:
I always thought she was just nasty. There were very few pro riders back in the day that single handidly turned me off of their sponsor's gear, but she was one of them. That whole dead fish around her neck thing... way too much effort spent on trying to be different, rather than just being better.

Sad? yes. Am I surprised?....nah.

Hmmm, maybe she was different, and not "trying to be", some of us are different, and it's not to try to convince others of our difference. I found her to be genuine, and yes, "different". In fact, an good athlete that trademarks themself via their personality or look, will garner more sponsorhsip deals- it isn't all about being the best.

Does one buy nikes because Michael Jordan wears them and is sponsored? I don't but many do. Flipside, if I enjoy GT bikes, will I stop buying them because Missy uses them and is sponsored. I wouldn't, but you would. I've always been under the impression that riding or using something because of the spokesperson is be bit toolish, I would think that stopping use of something solely for the spokesperson is the same.

meh, to each his own.

I would like to hear missy's side of the story.

GoldenEraMTB":2t32btgb said:
utahdog2003":2t32btgb said:
I always thought she was just nasty. There were very few pro riders back in the day that single handidly turned me off of their sponsor's gear, but she was one of them. That whole dead fish around her neck thing... way too much effort spent on trying to be different, rather than just being better.

Sad? yes. Am I surprised?....nah.

Hmmm, maybe she was different, and not "trying to be", some of us are different, and it's not to try to convince others of our difference. I found her to be genuine, and yes, "different". In fact, an good athlete that trademarks themself via their personality or look, will garner more sponsorhsip deals- it isn't all about being the best.

Does one buy nikes because Michael Jordan wears them and is sponsored? I don't but many do. Flipside, if I enjoy GT bikes, will I stop buying them because Missy uses them and is sponsored. I wouldn't, but you would. I've always been under the impression that riding or using something because of the spokesperson is be bit toolish, I would think that stopping use of something solely for the spokesperson is the same.

meh, to each his own.

I would like to hear missy's side of the story.

Nah...if a manufacturer sponsors an ass, and certainly when there are equal quality alternative products to use instead, I'd not shy away from avoiding that manufacture's product. I'd wager that all of us feel the same way, including you, on some level. If Yeti tested their bikes on puppies and kittens for no reason, then you'd probably avoid Yetis....most people would. To me, watching Giove talk in interviews was as painful as watching somebody torture a cat...and yeah, that tainted my attitude toward Yeti when it came to making purchases.

Back