Marin Bear Valley 1990 - restoration project

anopinion

Retro Newbie
HELLO new here and this is my first post, please be kind.

Have been riding this bike for years and I mean years - 18.

I'm sure I bought it in 1990, brain matter isn't what it used to be - black forks, white decals (well it used to have) and tefal frying pan grey and the following code - M90451564 - I'm sure I read that the 90 stands for the year the frame was made - can anyone confirm?

I've got it into my head - and I have to blame this forum - to restore the old mucka, and so my problems only just begin.

I would be interested in the lost souls of this forum view's on the following two questions

1 - a respray is essentail but what colour - original tefal frying pan or possibly orange (saw an orange restore here and wow)
2 - do I stick with the exage 400lx group set or upgrade - sticking with the year of course possibly deore dx?

I await your thoughts and muses on the subject.

Cheers

Anopinion :?:
Greenwich
London

Hi and welcome!

Obviously need before pics now :)

Would be good to see a Marin get the makeover, not often done. 400lx is pretty basic, depends if you want to recreate as was (tough after respray - not sure who does zolatone), or bling it up a bit!
DX not too pricey either, and good stuff. I would put something a little nicer on.

Welcome :D
Sounds like a '90 to me
As far as respray is concerned I'd go with whatever colour/finish takes your fancy...
When it comes to equipment, I think Deore DX would be just right, maybe with XT highlights :D
Now, get some pics on :p

Rich

Definately 1990

Didn't the Palisades of the same era have a yellow fork and the Fire Mountain an orange one

Some nice component upgrades would be a good move...especially the levers as 400LX ones were HUGE!

Neil G":2xcf4drg said:
Didn't the Palisades of the same era have a yellow fork and the Fire Mountain an orange one

Careful!! With talk like that you will have the Kona malicia after you..

frame gone to local sprayer, no point to pics until it comes back with decals or I could photograph the frying pan?

thank you for your thoughts and opinions

PS if the sprayer can't do the decals can anyone point me in the right direction

cheers :LOL:

gump":2kblt3sn said:
Neil G":2kblt3sn said:

exactly...Fir Conflagration juxtaposition going on there...what am I saying pass me more wine.

gump":ecbwdcee said:
Neil G":ecbwdcee said:

Aplogies

Meant to say pine mountain lol

marin bear valley decals 1990

here is a set of decals, if of use to any body

Attachments

• DECAL-SET.jpg
    DECAL-SET.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,358
Welcome fellow owner

Good look with your rebuild looking forward to seeing pics, Hopefully over winter months going to rebuild my pine mountain.

Hope you have a deep wallet things can get expensive(lol)

Mick D :D

Back