Kona Kilauea 1997 - now living in Germany

Re: Kona Kilauea 1997 - experiment time

Really dislike M739 chainsets, even makes modern Shimano look half decent, which is saying something.

There's not much difference between the '97 and '98 sets - I like them very much. Other than a black outer ring, the 97 LX crankset (what the catalogue Kilauea wore and sits on my ManoMano) from 97 looks almost identical to the '98 XT version. '99 is when they went downhill IMO. I've never owned any XTR before - too flash for me - so this will be a first.

Where to start.

You know that feeling when you pick up a package and you can hear something rattling around in it? That bit where your heart sinks and you think, oh bollocks. Then anger at how idiotic people can be.

rz2BeK.jpg

Ridiculously sized box, surely there'll be plenty of packing material.

bR6cbc.jpg

I mean, it's not like it's travelling over an ocean or anything. It'll be treated carefully right? Couriers and airports and handlers, they all pay careful attention to the goods.

FnDse7.jpg

Wrapped in fucking newspaper, with two empty cardboard boxes, one set of small inflated plastic wrapping and two broken bits of polystyrene. What went through the sellers mind when he put this together? (Answer: nothing).

fBKxPZ.jpg

The stem, forks and seatpost were wrapped in newspaper and chucked in the bottom, frame on top. By this point I was in meltdown but also resigned that it'll be fucked. Well at least I haven't lost too much money. Let's at least take a look and see if anything is salvageable.

Let's give it a quick, light clean, check for dents, cracks and anything that looks bent.

nN8ZOz.jpg

aTBwRj.jpg

jgZJ76.jpg

Ok, this is where I really take issue. Clearly listed with "...no dents". Well, that's a dent. The good news is it's really small, it's just noticeable because of the paint loss. It looks like the classic bar swing. It's also old so it's clearly not been an issue and let's just say this frame has been used. I'm a massive stickler for dent free frames so this will irk me. The fact that the story does get better from here on after a low point like this, means I've sort of got over of it. I can ignore it. Odd how things like that happen.

So I've checked with a magnifying class for cracks on all the welds and headtube, paying particular attention to the seat tube. Why's that you ask?

DoAvOM.jpg

If anyone want's a boomerang hit me up with a PM :facepalm: (To be fair I had a feeling it was fucked when I looked at the listing picture). Thank goodness the dog collar and top of the seat tube are circular and haven't been overtightened.

We're not out of the woods. Let's check for the serial number cause I'd like to know which batch this was made.

FHq8HF.jpg

Errrr...

Jn3Fq3.jpg

If anyone had a Kilauea stolen in the Lakeville, MA area then let me know :(

I'm pleased to report that everything else is straight and narrow and dent free. We've got some epic patina to sort out on the chainstay but nothing some krust, touch up paint and protection won't sort out.

LOVplM.jpg

cWxxDX.jpg

egrFGp.jpg

9gpHjC.jpg

I need to check the Explosif but I don't recall it has stays like this. They are quite cool, slim and ovalised as normal from the seat tube, then more circular but then they get quite portly before they become slimmer again towards the drop outs (which I love and the Explosif has).

VY5M2E.jpg

The chainstay indicates it's been well used but what's good is the rest of the paint is in decent nick, the decals are all present and correct as the lacquer has stayed intact. Even with a quick clean (as it was proper dusty) the wonderful "plum" blue came up a treat; it has a lovely tiny metallic sparkle.

The P2's are TB although the serial number for that is different to what I've seen before - it has the magic "TB" stamped, that's all I care about! The stem is perfect.

So what's next? Strip down the Kula, sell off what I don't need. Over the next month or so get the CK headset, find a Flite and a new BB. For now, I'm just taking her in and amazed that she's in one piece.

That dent is really nothing, although with an OCD can see why you would get annoyed. I wouldn't worry about it at all, and like you say, it's a miracle that there's no damage to it otherwise travelling that far as it is.

Newspaper :facepalm:

Re:

Which Flite, CK amd bb are you after mate?
Same stays as on mine :D
Same horrible paint chips as well.

Once built you will soon forget the rubbish packing job.

coomber":3qh1evak said:
Newspaper :facepalm:

Mental isn't it? The more I think about it, the more unbelievable it is. It's a miracle.

paulswheels":3qh1evak said:
Once built you will soon forget the rubbish packing job.

True, although I'll wheel out the picture next time we talk about shitty packing efforts :LOL:

dent free - obviously just a phrase for the seller :x

but what you could expect from somebody who "protected" the frame - parts with one layer of newspaper :evil:

but in total you could be lucky with the find and that it arrives in one piece and the P2 is a TB :D

magas":1y1wpbb1 said:
but in total you could be lucky with the find and that it arrives in one piece and the P2 is a TB :D

And that's the mindset I have now. I know I'll make it look ace-balls (to me) and best of all, I know it'll go like a rocket :)

Re:

A rocket she will be for sure mate. Best riding Kona I've had imho.

What kit are you missing? I'm on a clear out might have some bits.

Can't wait to get mine back from the oven and get her built up again :cool:

So other than that it's great. I've had stuff arrive packed like that, makes you wonder.

Back