Kona boffins- frame geometry and recommended size

O right, how do you know that? I saw they had an 18" for sale a while ago but presumed this was an altogether different frame as they said this one was in excellent conditon. I think the 18" had a ding in the top tube.

parma_ham":36g8c0gt said:
O right, how do you know that? I saw they had an 18" for sale a while ago but presumed this was an altogether different frame as they said this one was in excellent conditon. I think the 18" had a ding in the top tube.

Because they say it measures 16" center-to-center but Kona measure center-to-top, therefore their 16" frame is actually an 18" (easy way to visually check is by how close the top tube/down tube joints are at the head tube...).

Sorry, I'm getting confused here. When Anthony said "it's 18inch" I thought he was talking about the explosif I was interested in. The ebay advert for the 1998 kilauea said it's been measured from the centre of the BB to the toptube, it doesn't say whether that is the top or bottom of the toptube :LOL: . Has someone already been in touch with the seller and confirmed?

Ben

They usually get Kona sizes wrong because most manufacturers measure center-to-center whereas Kona measure center-to-top of seat tube, not the top tube...

parma_ham":wlcle1f1 said:
Sorry, I'm getting confused here. When Anthony said "it's 18inch" I thought he was talking about the explosif I was interested in. The ebay advert for the 1998 kilauea said it's been measured from the centre of the BB to the toptube, it doesn't say whether that is the top or bottom of the toptube :LOL: . Has someone already been in touch with the seller and confirmed?
Ben
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear Ben, but I thought you were referring to the 98 Kilauea on eBay which is described by the seller as a size 16, but it's actually an 18. Lots of sellers don't know what size their bike is, but as Stevo says the description makes it clear that it's an 18. It has an 11cm head tube, so it can't be a 16 or a 19, and size 17 is incompatible with the description, so it's an 18. Plus it just looks like an 18.

We_are_Stevo":3vbg3cq5 said:
They usually get Kona sizes wrong because most manufacturers measure center-to-center whereas Kona measure center-to-top of seat tube, not the top tube...

Do they, most I know measure centre to top.
exceptions being Marin that I can think of.

FluffyChicken":vajifr3n said:
We_are_Stevo":vajifr3n said:

My Bad :oops:

Center of BB to upper edge of top tube, rather than top of seat post.

Never really seen why Kona measure to the top of the seat post mind, it's the stand-over height that's relevant when all's said an' done?

FluffyChicken":2tqs2qmf said:
We_are_Stevo":2tqs2qmf said:
It became the norm, but in earlier times c-tst was not that common. Specialized for one used c-ctt, and others followed a road norm of c-ttt. I assume that's why so many eBay sellers think their Kona should be measued c-ttt.

I asked the seller of the ebay kilauea the following:

"Just to confirm, where you have measured it from the centre of the BB to the top tube- is that to the bottom or the top of the top tube?"

and he said:

"top of the tube- someone else has commented that it could be a 18" as Kona measured to the top of the seat tube?"

Now I'm really confused :?

Ben

Back