Kona boffins- frame geometry and recommended size

FluffyChicken":1ngk25i0 said:
In my signature link is a 1997 explosif, my popping to my mum allotment bike. It went the same way are your plan and it's never got to her allotment yet. even if it is just a Kona.

Anthony has many of the things and many others.

1997 is probably the pick of the 95-97 versions.
1998 moved to 853 tubing which i've never had but they don't seem as interesting to look at and you'll be shunned by the retrobike community :LOL: with no real place to show it off.
1997 and before will tell you it's too new.
1998+ will be swamped by them showing their modern stuff off.

So you know what to do ;)

Resale on the '97 Explosif is much easier to.

Sorry to bring this thread up again but I thought it would make sense to try and keep things all in one place. Why would you say the 97 explosif is the pick of all the 95-97's?

As you've probably all seen, there is a 96 explosif on ebay- I take it this is still a very good frame http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0889886374?

My hunt continues you see- such a shame that chap no longer decided to sell his '97 17" (he obviously saw sense :D ). I was toying with buying the complete ebay explosif for just the frame (and maybe some other bits) and then breaking it down for parts but I've no idea what they are worth and therfore how much to bid up to :? ?

Ben

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Frame and fork only already over £200...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RETRO-KONA-EX ... 2a18260eef

...complete bikes tend to go for less because people want to build them up themselves??

You could make quite a bit selling the parts on through the forum; have a look at the for sale section to see what prices they go for...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
parma_ham":2d6ial7o said:
Sorry to bring this thread up again but I thought it would make sense to try and keep things all in one place. Why would you say the 97 explosif is the pick of all the 95-97's? ...

Purely based on me having one ;)
No that's not the answer. :LOL:

Because they moved to a newer style rear dropout, this is quite nice looking.
There are also reports of the earlier stays snapping, don't let that put you of though.

Really it's just because it's the more often than not asked for year of the Explosif built from 95-97 MAX-OR tubing. weather it's the better of the 3 frames I do not know.

We_are_Stevo":vnwnvg60 said:
Frame and fork only already over £200...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RETRO-KONA-EX ... 2a18260eef

...complete bikes tend to go for less because people want to build them up themselves??

You could make quite a bit selling the parts on through the forum; have a look at the for sale section to see what prices they go for...

Yeah sure sorry, I appreciate I need to have a search and so some leg work myself :) . It might well be worth having a few bids as Bournemouth isn't far from me.

I appreciate the stays might be weaker on the 96 but I'm guessing it's still a pretty hardy frame (You said don't let the stays put me off)? I would only be using it for commuting/and XC/trail riding. Ok if there is a 2ft drop I'll go off it but it's not as if I'd be using it for jumping/big drop offs etc- I've got my bmx and other mtb for that.

Sorry again for all the questions, it's just I know nothing of these older bikes (being a nipper in most of you retro guys eyes). I really want to be sure of my facts before forking out my hard earned/borrowed (I'm a student). I like my current kilauea but wish I had had a day rather than 10 mins to test ride the bike (certainly not the sellers fault and not really mine as it's not easy to find a 15 year old bike to borrow for the day :p ).

Ben

Questions are good.

I'm sure somebody will mention something about why the stays broke or it was just media hype about them (i.e. a minority that where reported.
I don't know, these are all after my time biking.

Either way it's got to be safer than riding around on some of the things we ride on here..

Im almost 6 2 and thinking of getting a 94 Lava Dome which is a medium (but has a measurement to top of the seat tube of 19 inch) - thoughts? Dont want to travel all the way to get it for it just to be too small.

I reckon you want the next size up, unless you have your saddle quite low. That's what I ride, and I'm 5'10". If I rode a smaller size, I would have trouble getting a seatpost long enough.

No I have mine quite high! Yea usually I ride 19 inch but the Kona sizing seems strange!

Thanks Luke

Back