Koga Miyata Valley Runner 1990

Thank you, I had found the catalog, but the resolution is shallow, and we don't learn much about the bike and its components.

My tires are toast! 🎉
1684339451048.png

Ok, this is sad news for my bank account, but this is good news for the "new parts" feeling, you know?
I was wondering if I should go the tan wall way, or find something else...
For the time being, I have only found a few models:
- MAXXIS Ikon 3C
- Maxxis DTH
- Schwalbe Billy Bonkers

Would you have any input?
Thanks.

1684430227525.png
"Dirty" bike after a trip in the forest.
I put a new (to me) saddle and temporary seatpost. The seatpost was free, as I bought quite a few parts from a local seller.
It will have to go, I think black does not work with the frame colour, and it's too short, I'd like it to go higher.
The stem will also have to go, it's ugly.
The saddle (Flite Titanium) is showing its age, but I don't know how to preserve it. 🤷‍♂️
1684430546428.png

I received new tyres for the bike today. I haven't finished installing them tonight, so I'll share pictures tomorrow.

I opted for the cheapest tyres on the list, which are priced at 21€: "Maxxis Ikon EXO Protection - 3C Maxx Speed - Tubeless Ready".
Pneu-Maxxis-Ikon---EXO-Protection---3C-Maxx-Speed---Tubeless-Ready-noir-beige-jante_494x294.jpg

Once they were on the bike, I noticed that the sides appear darker than they did on the website. I suppose I got what I paid for.

By the way, while changing the tyres, I discovered that the two rims are not the same. Does anyone happen to know what the correct wheels/rims were when the bike was new?

I don't have any pictures yet because my usual picture-taking spot was unavailable.
I think the tyres look really cool on the bike.
Earlier, one of my sons told me that the bike looks like it's from "Stranger Things", which in my language can be translated as "vintage" or "retro." 😁

Last edited:
1689010451255.png
to compare to:
1689010428393.png
Lots of things have changed, some others will have to go to later on.
New:
- cables and cable housings
- chain

New to me:
- Rear mech (XT)
- Front mech (XT)
- Pedals (they will have to go)
- Thumbies (XT)
- Brake levers (XT)
- Brake calipers (XT)
- Grips

The seat post and stem will have to go.

A new (to me) crankset (XT) is expected to arrive this week. However, I made (yes, another) a mistake and also purchased a new (to me) XT cassette, which unfortunately doesn't fit on the existing hub. The hub is significantly larger than expected.

1689010727337.png
I suppose I'll need to purchase the appropriate XT hub and build a wheel at a later time. 🤷‍♂️
Before doing so, I'll have to service the current oversized hub, as it's making unpleasant sounds of grit and humidity instead of smooth grease and steel balls.
However, I'm unsure which tool I should use for this task. Please forgive the excessive amount of grease; it was a desperate attempt to provide some lubrication for the hidden steel balls until I can find the proper tools and procedure to service the hub.
1689011118694.png

Latest posts

Back