info on Canadian built Peugeot MTB

skywalker482

Retro Guru
Right, I couldn't resist this even though i have other projects pending it was so cheap.

I can find almost NOTHING online about it

Peugeot Lafayette, Deore LX groupset, immaculate welds, handmade in canada....more pics to follow

anyone know much about them or have I just bought a piece of garbage.... although if it works as the owner states i dont care for what I paid

Attachments

• lafayette.JPG
    lafayette.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 2,170
  • lafayette1.JPG
    lafayette1.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 2,168
  • lafayette3.JPG
    lafayette3.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 2,168
Re:

all I can find is somone stating the company that made peugeot in canada became the company that made rocky mountain bikes and its not dissimilar to this fusion frame appearance wise at least

Attachments

• rocky mtb.jpg
    rocky mtb.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 2,161
Yup - that's Procycle. They also own Oryx, Balfa, CCM, Miele, and others.

Wikipedia says Peugeot production was ceased in Canada in '01.

It's more closely related to this than to the Fusion.

101_9450s.jpg

Re:

I would imagine it's internally brazed rather than immaculately welded.

No Rocky Mountain, but it will be a good rider.

Get out and enjoy it.

Re:

Ah yes doh....internally brazed of course it is.....

I don't intend to do anything with it except strip and service and then use it to and from work over the winter to keep other bikes clean, for £18.....yes £18 I am happy as 7 speed deore LX rear mechs sell for that...

Re:

My recollection of the Canadian Peugeots is that they were decent quality bikes - probably not in the same vein as top end RockyMountains, but certainly on par with bikes like the RM Fusion. Peugeots were derivative from a style and technology perspective, rather than industry leading. Much like the Canadian Raleighs of that vintage. If its full cromo and came with a decent groupset I think it'll make a fine commuter. Enjoy.

I just purchased a Peugeot ISS 500 Lafayette. I like it a lot; took it for a couple of rides and it rides great.

Attachments

• CAM00408.jpg
    CAM00408.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,794
  • CAM00409.jpg
    CAM00409.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,794
  • CAM00410.jpg
    CAM00410.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,794
  • CAM00411.jpg
    CAM00411.jpg