If your into football, what's your team??

FairfaxPat":2c00z078 said:

Your just making it up Pat.

49ers!!! I support the 50ers, they're one better than your team. ;)

legrandefromage":1a8b2vod said:
football sucks the sweat off the devil's doodad.

that is all.

I should hope so young man!

now go and tidy your room!! :roll:

al":21br7kzc said:
FairfaxPat":21br7kzc said:

69ers, everyones' favourite

Sheff Wednesday, soon to be relegate tho'.
I recently caught sight of a book called crap teams (in the same vane as the top gear "crap Cars" book). First team in the book was sheffield Weds 1969-70. Cheers you barsted authors

pigman":1tcum54w said:
al":1tcum54w said:
FairfaxPat":1tcum54w said:

69ers, everyones' favourite

Sheff Wednesday, soon to be relegate tho'.
I recently caught sight of a book called crap teams (in the same vane as the top gear "crap Cars" book). First team in the book was sheffield Weds 1969-70. Cheers you barsted authors

Hope you wendies stay up as you're a proper club with a proper fanbase imo. It'd be a game I'd look forward to next season if we go up. :cool:

You know, in High School I played on both the American Football and the Soccer (football) squads, and they could both be brutal. But then I moved up to College Sports at UCLA and I played soccer there, but I was too small (6'1-175 lb.) to play on the football team-those guys were Huge! When I look at the size of a modern pro football front line, they all average around 320 lb. apiece, with some much higher, and standing 6'3-6'9 inches tall. Wouldn't You want pads facing men that big, Grahame?

FairfaxPat":syip5y76 said:
You know, in High School I played on both the American Football and the Soccer (football) squads, and they could both be brutal. But then I moved up to College Sports at UCLA and I played soccer there, but I was too small (6'1-175 lb.) to play on the football team-those guys were Huge! When I look at the size of a modern pro football front line, they all average around 320 lb. apiece, with some much higher, and standing 6'3-6'9 inches tall. Wouldn't You want pads facing men that big, Grahame?

So, about the same size as an average Rugby Union lock forward (who, incidentally, play without pads or helmets).

Mike Ditka (a renowned American Football coach and defence fan) once said how much he'd love to watch two defences playing each other. Then remarked that we get to see that each week in the UK at rugby union games.

Incidentally, when I was at university, one of my fellow post-grad students was a former defensive lineman at Oklahoma, and had been a 6th round draftee into the NFL and had declined the offer in order to come to study in the UK (yes, he was huge). He took up rugby union, playing as a lock forward and said he was shocked by the sustained physical intensity of the game - he said "In (American) football, we play for 10 seconds at a time, recover for 20 to 30 seconds, then if we do our job right, we rest for 5 to 15 minutes. In rugby, it's full on, with no pads, direct physical contact for 40 minutes, then 10 minutes rest and another 40 minutes. These guys are awesome."

grahame":2ytvl5f8 said:
FairfaxPat":2ytvl5f8 said:

So, about the same size as an average Rugby Union lock forward (who, incidentally, play without pads or helmets).

Mike Ditka (a renowned American Football coach and defence fan) once said how much he'd love to watch two defences playing each other. Then remarked that we get to see that each week in the UK at rugby union games.

Incidentally, when I was at university, one of my fellow post-grad students was a former defensive lineman at Oklahoma, and had been a 6th round draftee into the NFL and had declined the offer in order to come to study in the UK (yes, he was huge). He took up rugby union, playing as a lock forward and said he was shocked by the sustained physical intensity of the game - he said "In (American) football, we play for 10 seconds at a time, recover for 20 to 30 seconds, then if we do our job right, we rest for 5 to 15 minutes. In rugby, it's full on, with no pads, direct physical contact for 40 minutes, then 10 minutes rest and another 40 minutes. These guys are awesome."

Well said that man.

And Grahame you haven't even touched on real Rugby either!
You going to leave Rugby League until later,as not to shock Pat too much? ;) Just tell him It's like Union but for thick working class people with nothing to loose from head trauma!

If you tell him about Ozzy Rules he may well pass out!! :LOL: ;)

al":9osnut46 said:
grahame":9osnut46 said:
FairfaxPat":9osnut46 said:

Well said that man.

And Grahame you haven't even touched on real Rugby either!
You going to leave Rugby League until later,as not to shock Pat too much? ;) Just tell him It's like Union but for thick working class people with nothing to loose from head trauma!

That was pretty much the plan. ;)

Back