has everyone lost the passion?

I think fluffychicken's " from this to this " post sums it up perfectly. Guybe's post ( hi mate! ) about " where's it going in 10 years time " makes me shudder that THE INDUSTRY'S progression may be linear and leading to Judge Dredd-outfitted testosterone heads flying garish 12 inch suspension monsters down nothing but mountainbike parks.

However, let's be positive and imagine that THE INDUSTRY is cyclic and what goes around, comes around....

There's always hope.

We 'old gits' are in the unique postion of being the Dad at the birth of something new, we therefore have the right to say ''eee' lad, it were better in our day'' (generic northeren accent) becuase that is pretty much spot on.

Progress

If we didn't have profit, we wouldn't have research and D or progress, I'm probably one of the oldest on here and IMHO most of the modern bikes and components rock and do a grand job of tackling terrain at speeds bikes 10 years ago couldn't even travel over. Maybe a bit of this "retro is best" is more of an excuse for falling off hurts these days?

Comments

Thats a daft thing to say and being able to spell would be an asset.
May as well not bother with a bike if that's the case imho?

Agency_Scum":a75py0ay said:
I think fluffychicken's " from this to this " post sums it up perfectly. Guybe's post ( hi mate! ) about " where's it going in 10 years time " makes me shudder that THE INDUSTRY'S progression may be linear and leading to Judge Dredd-outfitted testosterone heads flying garish 12 inch suspension monsters down nothing but mountainbike parks.

However, let's be positive and imagine that THE INDUSTRY is cyclic and what goes around, comes around....

There's always hope.

There's no doubt some tacky trends that will die in time.

Looking back, I don't particularly miss semi-slick tires, green Michelin Wildgrippers, bar ends, self-destructing Rock Shox Judy cartridges or elastomer forks!

Progress; something lost, something gained.

I am not a dedicated retro grouch. I have a modern bike. None of that which is posted above makes hydroformed tubes necessary. Or black spokes necessary. Or overly wrought, overly styled bikes with 'features' that add little to nothing to the ride quality of the bikes necessary. Or huge prices for mass produced models made overseas by exploited labor necessary. I'm not crapping on the idea of the 5" travel bike (although I steadfastly believe that all riders should learn and continue to hone their skills on a rigid bike.) I'm crapping on the idea that the standard for mountain bikes today is 5" travel, asian made, cookie cutter style, and still sky-high asking prices.

Even the Wal Mart bikes are interupted seat tube full suspension bikes with double crown forks! Who in the market for a cheap-o bike needs that crap? Marketing!

What I am saying, is that the modern bikes are more about style than they are substance. I am not saying that suspension is about style and not substance (although I am a hard-tail guy.) These marketing justification blurbs being brandied about by manufacturers and magazines touting hydroformed tubes are just a way to distract you from noticing that your $3500 bike is made in Taiwan, and that it looks alot like the Giants and Treks down the street.
:shock:

Shhhh...don't tell anyone. :cool:

Re: Lookers

Wold Ranger":28e0fjfd said:
Nah, there are plenty of really sexy looking moderns out there! The new 2009 Orange R8 in 853,(in fact the whole Orange range looks pretty drewl inspiring) the Genesis 853, On One's, Charge, Cotic's, NS, Commencal's two Ti offerings, plenty out there to please really.

A man after my own heart, obviously (and probably the same sort of age too...).
There have always been bikes that polarised opinions - I have always owned (and by definition most like) steel frames. Cannondales, Kleins and the like never did anything for me, nor did any of the monocoque stuff.

Give me a nice Kona however (yes people - there is such a thing, even though they are "mid to low end tat") or any other nice steel frame (any of the above included) and I'm more than happy.....

hondamatic":1w99cagx said:
There's no doubt some tacky trends that will die in time.

Hydroforming!...May it follow Andy's referenced monocoque stuff into oblivion :shock:

Look how pretty!

Attachments

• stump.jpg
    stump.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 836
  • trek.JPG
    trek.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 836
  • giant.jpg
    giant.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 836
Back