GT's why the dislike ?

FMJ":2atuj6w3 said:
Couldn't wait for the parts I have coming for the official build, so I slapped on some 732 wheels with slicks on them, 732 cranks, and a Flite. Had the spins really bad last night, and I didn't want to risk crashing off-road, so I took it for a rip along jog-bra alley (the multi-use path along the lake). If you look real close, you can see the CN Tower in Toronto just right of the nose of the saddle.

IMG_0294.jpg

if thats the result of a '**** it, i will throw some old parts at it to give it a run out before the decent stuff arrives' then im envious fm!!.....

IDB1":10a0i1rt said:
I don't get the real bottom end GT's when you can step it up a level or 3 for not much more dollar ..

Why not it's like any brand, there has to be an entry level and if that's
ALL the money you have why not. My first GT was bought because I
discovered that for not a massive amount more than the BSOs I was
looking at I could get a GT. It might not have had the greatest
components but 12 years on it's still going strong despite a lots of use.

It still gets admiring looks and it's much more solidly put together than
anything for twice the price (admittedly I think the quality of the base
bikes went down after the bankruptcy).

MADJEZ":3qdk20ik said:
IDB1":3qdk20ik said:
I don't get the real bottom end GT's when you can step it up a level or 3 for not much more dollar ..

Why not it's like any brand, there has to be an entry level and if that's
ALL the money you have why not. .

GT was only used because it's pertinent to this thread.. perhaps I should have said <insert mass-produced brand here> instead.

If ALL the money you have is bottom-end then fine.. but when you consider you can step up the range for not much more coin and get a frame that is less than half the weight of a small barge......

I have a theory ...

The hate for [insert well known named brand] comes from the niche created by the so-called elitist MTB's. They saw the masses buying these cheap, off road capable, bikes and getting out on the trails and enjoying themselves. The hadn't spent thousands refining their hand crafted top of the range equiped machine. How can they be having so much fun and only spent 10% of what I did on my bike? Therefore they look down on these popular brands and give them a wide berth. It's only a [insert well known named brand] so it must be crap (compared to my bike which you have probably never heard of.)

REKIBorter":1yhl06s5 said:
I have a theory ...

The hate for [insert well known named brand] comes from the niche created by the so-called elitist MTB's. They saw the masses buying these cheap, off road capable, bikes and getting out on the trails and enjoying themselves. The hadn't spent thousands refining their hand crafted top of the range equiped machine. How can they be having so much fun and only spent 10% of what I did on my bike? Therefore they look down on these popular brands and give them a wide berth. It's only a [insert well known named brand] so it must be crap (compared to my bike which you have probably never heard of.)

That works... :cool:

I'd agree with that.
Cannondales were ridden by rich yuppies.
Marins are the size of gates and don't handle.
Trek is corporate
Kona is everywhere like the Pox.
GT is just yuck.

This is just snobbery. Surely what matters is whether you like riding it and if it makes you smile a little more when you go into the garage...?

Snobs are snobs, and they will look down on your clothes/house/car/holiday destination/career etc. SFW? Its simply because they are insecure.

hamster":fjcrk904 said:
I'd agree with that.
Cannondales were ridden by rich yuppies.
Marins are the size of gates and don't handle.
Trek is corporate
Kona is everywhere like the Pox.
GT is just yuck.

This is just snobbery. Surely what matters is whether you like riding it and if it makes you smile a little more when you go into the garage...?

Snobs are snobs, and they will look down on your clothes/house/car/holiday destination/career etc. SFW? Its simply because they are insecure.

Good list, good demographic snippet too

I'd just like to tack on to the end:

Specialized, who are, simultaneously corporate and everywhere like the plague!

But again, there are some GREAT ones

- This GT question should have been a Coolwall

- Good topic, Mikee

Back