GT's why the dislike ?

suburbanreuben":2fgc3r4u said:
Precious? As in that most subtle of differences - the flat TT end - that only Zaskar owners care about?

Most subtle of details is probably the more accurate way of putting it. It can help identify a better quality frame, one which helps people spending too much or not getting what they wanted in some cases.

I don't think Zaskar owners or fans could ever be described as precious. The very fact that Zaskars are so prolific renders that a bit wide of the mark in my opinion.

Drencrom":yibs36ae said:
suburbanreuben":yibs36ae said:
Precious? As in that most subtle of differences - the flat TT end - that only Zaskar owners care about?

Most subtle of details is probably the more accurate way of putting it. It can help identify a better quality frame, one which helps people spending too much or not getting what they wanted in some cases.

I don't think Zaskar owners or fans could ever be described as precious. The very fact that Zaskars are so prolific renders that a bit wide of the mark in my opinion.
:LOL: :LOL:
Eggsackly!
So who made the Psyclone? Bet it wasn't an in house job... :p

suburbanreuben":5ctnqyl5 said:
:LOL: :LOL:
Eggsackly!
So who made the Psyclone? Bet it wasn't an in house job... :p

GT built the Pysclone in house at it's Tech Shop in Longmont, Boulder (in Colorado). The Xizang was made by Sandvik in case you were wondering. GT had a facility in Santa Ana, if memory serves, for building prototypes and team bikes.

I'm not really sure what the point you think you're proving is though, I'm under no illusion of the relatively large quantities of GT's out there, and wouldn't ever compare them to a small or boutique marque - I just think to claim that hardtail GT's aren't anything special is a claim that can be countered.

If you think there is no love for GT you should look at Parkpre especially in the USA. They despise the brand for introducing quality bikes that undercut the popular brands.

REKIBorter":1fw59ksg said:
If you think there is no love for GT you should look at Parkpre especially in the USA. They despise the brand for introducing quality bikes that undercut the popular brands.

Blimey, that is a bit odd. Had a mate with an 825 back in '95, it rode like a rocket. Lovely bike, and a real understated look.

mechagouki":t34zysbn said:
Deja-View

One of the most photographed spots in Southern Ontario. So much so, they've stopped letting people pull their cars into that part of the lot. A few years ago the lot+Poulson St. was set up as a Supermoto course for a Canadian National. The jump on the main straightaway on Poulson was FUN.

DSCN0149.jpg

I used to be indifferent about GT as a brand but ended up buying a Xizang a couple of years ago. I wanted a retro Ti frame for day to day use that could cope with pulling a BOB trailer, and figured that the triple triangle would be better able to cope with the twisting forces than most old Ti. Also the larger frame and fairly flat top tube suited a 'hybrid' look (AT4 bars and slicks) pretty well.
I'm stoked with this bike! It doesn't seem to have any of the flex or even springiness I was kind of expecting, but is really smooth -'soft' I'd call it, whilst being stiff as well. Acceleration and climbing are awesome, and the stiff-ish back end lets you chuck it about better than other bikes I've owned. The triple triangle is definately an effective design on a titanium frame, for sure. I've grown to love the look too ..bare, unstickered frame with brown saddle and Campy Record OR and Paul .. it's lush

I kinda see GT through new eyes these days. Those Psyclones are delicious!

suburbanreuben":3du0o77v said:

Not so...I care about 6061 tubing, the shorter rear stays and ball buirnished finishes also. Not the typical low budget polished finish that most other companies used. Ball Burnishing doesn't just shine the frame but all so peen hardens the outer surface which adds strength and helps keep the surface from oxidizng as easily as a polished frame.

gm1230126":elmlp1fb said:
suburbanreuben":elmlp1fb said:

Not so...I care about 6061 tubing, the shorter rear stays and ball buirnished finishes also. Not the typical low budget polished finish that most other companies used. Ball Burnishing doesn't just shine the frame but all so peen hardens the outer surface which adds strength and helps keep the surface from oxidizng as easily as a polished frame.
Blimey! :roll:
"that only Zaskar owners care about..."
Not "that Zaskar owners only care about..."
There's a big difference.

Back