A very beautiful Mixte frame Motobecane. Translation below. Before and after photos. Lugs I think are Prugnat.

Here's an unusual Motobécane model: the FDM. It's a touring bike with a mixed frame, so it's for ladies, because at the time, mixed meant lady.
At first glance, it looks like the ZD-type city models that were very, very widely distributed.
But the frame has some very nice fittings (which brand?), a Reynolds ‘A’ label and some nice details (brazed-on pump mounts, lighting wire in the down tube).
The equipment is top quality: TA crankset, Huret Luxe derailleur, Super Champion 650 rims, Mafac Criterium brakes, aluminium handlebars.
The paintwork is nice, but the chrome has suffered from the salty Calvados air. Luckily the tyres look good, they're standard 650B 40-584 and I don't think they're easy to find new.
Here are a few photos. Dealer R. Piel (Paris / Bezons)
motobecane before1.jpg motobecane before2.jpg motobecane before3.jpg motobecane before4.jpg motobecane before5.jpg motobecane before6.jpg motobecane before7.jpg motobecane before8.jpg motobecane after1.jpg motobecane after9.jpg

Le Chemineau randonner, fantastic and sympathetic restoration of a rather desirable bike. Translation below.

I'm off to restore the chemineau.
It's complete and in its original condition. After all, it's been sitting in an attic for a number of decades, so it's well advanced and looks like it's been around quite a bit.
It's a fairly classic tourer, but it's still got some nice leftovers and some nice details, like the dual-control rear brake, a classic handlebar grip and another Erpelding one on the flat of the Erpelding handlebar.
There's also a chain lubricator and, above all, four superb wheel butterflies that double as spoke spanners.
Funnily enough, the Bachelier had been modified (I think) with Erpelding handlebars and I also found three identical ones in a crate of parts from the same attic.

No restoration file for this beautiful randonneuse given its very classic character, just a few explanations and photos. The frame has been washed, treated with steel wool 000 + WD40 and polished with beeswax. The metal parts, handlebars, brakes, crankset etc... were cleaned with a wire brush on a reel and treated with satin varnish spray. The wheels were spoked as new.
There are still a few details left, such as the electrical wiring and perhaps a chain guard, but I'm not sure of the model.

Le Chemineau1.JPG Le Chemineau2.JPG Le Chemineau3.JPG Le Chemineau4.JPG Le Chemineau5.JPG Le Chemineau6.JPG Le Chemineau7.JPG Le Chemineau8.JPG Le Chemineau9.JPG Le Chemineau10.JPG

Mid 1970s Marcel Dejouannet. Sadly missing the original front rack and mudgaurds. Note the very close half step chainset and interesting contrast on the paintwork. Also of note (for me) are the very nice transitions on the stays to drop out and fork end.

View attachment 886835View attachment 886836View attachment 886837View attachment 886838View attachment 886839View attachment 886840View attachment 886841View attachment 886842View attachment 886843View attachment 886844
Tres elegant. (I know, I know, no accents - I know what they are but can't do them.)

Latest posts

Back