GT Psyclone 1994 16 inch - very slow build

Silver stem will match the silver Seat post

Black stem will match the forks.
Either way will work.

I'd be tempted to make the hanger silver regardless of stem colour as it would stand out less and becomes more "one" with with headset which a steerer mounted hanger really is.

I'd probably be more biased towards a black stem, but obviously need to consider how it looks with the STI's fitted. The silver will be a different silver to the XTR shifter/levers so black could be more neutral/slicker. However appreciate the silver stem & silver seatpost OCD scenario! Where are you @PhillB 🤣

The good thing about black is that it’ll match the forks as it’ll be the same painter

Silver will be a different colour to the post for sure.

@27motorhead ...Sorry, I was in reviewing my bikes looking for mismatched Stems and seat posts! :LOL: (Actually its been a mad week at work!) But... I did check my fleet last night and I have two bikes with black stems and silver seat tubes. That means about 90% match....either all black or all silver...the two that don't are :

'92 Karakoram - now lets be honest, this is no Psyclone , and I've never even restored it - it's a continuous project bike in a constant state of change... I love it and if I had to sell my fleet this would be the last to go - sentimental as I had an identical one when I was 18 which was broadsided by a Volvo Estate...different story...
IMG_4428.jpeg

This on the other hand, might be mentioned in the same breath as a Psyclone (others may disagree :)) '92 Breezer Lightning XTR. This and the Karakoram are the only two bikes I have bought as complete bikes and on this I changed the stem from a Silver Syncros to a Black Syncros, mainly because the silver one it came with needs restoring. I think it looks better with the black stem and I'll probably get a black Ritchey seat post if I can ever find a decent one.

IMG_4284.jpeg

All of this matters not one bit with regard to the Psyclone of course :D .. but Looking back at the various builds, the version with the black Syncros stem is most appealing to me. (None of them are bad by the way!!)

I think that @27motorhead is spot on about the cable hanger, I think on my bikes all the steerer gubbins, headset, hanger, stem are the same colour...although I am looking for a blue headset for the Karakoram, but that's a project bike after all.

I think I’m going to have the flip flip painted in gloss black to match the fork

Shall I keep the hanger in black or go silver?

Or has anyone got a fork mounted cable hanger or seen any for sale? I’ve drawn a blank.

The one on my Hei Hei looks like it would work if I could find one of those (and paint it black)

IMG_8099.jpeg

If I remove the canti hanger it certainly neatens the area up. It even makes the atac look less bulky too.

I’ve decided I need a fork mounted canti hanger now for sure.

IMG_8102.jpeg

IMG_8120.jpeg IMG_8121.jpeg IMG_8122.jpeg IMG_8123.jpeg I’ve made a decision

Silver flip flop is on , and steerer is cut to suit.

Looks clean with the silver CK headset.

I’ve a fork mounted cable hanger on route which I’ll paint black and then just the seat to sort.

Good decision. Much cleaner! 💪👌

With no cable hanger on the headset it makes everything a lot cleaner. The clean lines and slimmer profile of the stem compliments the fillet brazed frame really well.

@PhillB will be happy as the silver matches the seatpost! ;)

Good decision. Much cleaner! 💪👌

With no cable hanger on the headset it makes everything a lot cleaner. The clean lines and slimmer profile of the stem compliments the fillet brazed frame really well.

@PhillB will be happy as the silver matches the seatpost! ;)
I am - I think it looks great ;-)

I'm busy restoring a 1976 Holdsworth Autograph atm...defo the other end of the scale :LOL: (GB Quill Stem and Sakae Seatpost match of course !!)

Back