Ground Control seatpost - I'm furious - Help!

I would second putting the post in a vice and twisting it. Takes a lot of effort but it has been successful for me. Watch your ears though as when it does move it may go off with one hell of a crack when the post finally moves :shock:

Agree the vice, twist and shout method does work. You need access to a heavy duty metal vice - like the ones in metal work at school.

I'm planning the saw blade method on a snapped / broken seat tube this weekend!

My LBS has a mother ducking big vice, so if the coke etc plan doesnt work, once the GC is stripped I will pay him a visit and clamp the old gal up! :LOL:

gutted... but the phrase... 'sold as seen' springs to mind... ;)

if you went to pick it up you should have checked it over properly..

the only comeback you have if is he lied and said the seatpost was fine.. (which from what you have said he didnt..)

as for getting it out, strip it down and then use a bit of penetrative oil or wd40 to see if it works its way in.. and maybe try some boiling water...

then stick the post firmly into a vice (and possibly crush it a little so it has flat sides) or other imovable object and use the frame itself as the leverage and twist that... getting a couple of friends to help works wonders too.. (it worked a treat on my Rockhopper frame!)

if all else fails its fun with hacksaws time! :LOL:

here's that sheldon link, it's exactly the same order as i used to do it at the shops i worked in but then i was trained by a very good mechanic.

anything you do, do it the order as listed because they go from least severe to most severe that way you only do what you NEED to do.

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Oh dear! I have to say Pickle old bean i spoke to the seller today (before seeing this post! No pun intended). He said you spent a good few minutes checking it over. The fact you missed the chance to grab it on here is well... unlucky. I know the seller well and should think he'd be so dismissive?! After all he gave you the retro tool/water bottle for nowt! As spacehopper said sold as seen! And its Ebay! Good luck with getting the post out. My tip would be boiling hot water and a vice. No damage to your frame just heats the two pieces of metal up at different temps and... Pop out she'll come. And oh your the third owner from new. Lets not be detrimental to fellow retrobiker eh? Thats how i got banned for a while!

im the git whom the bike bought the bike off. Lets get some things straight

I told you i did not realise it was stuck. You do not have to believe me but it is the truth.

You asked for a full refund, I said i didnt have the money anymore as I had paid off bills, however if you were unable the get the seatpost out I would offer some cash back as it WAS a genuine mistake.

The bike was sold as seen, you spent a good 15 minutes checking over it and were more than hapy to part with the cash.

I have sold many parts on here and have never had any problems and would never intentionally mislead someone, especially off a website that I enjoy as much as this one.

As far as I am concerned I am finished with this bike now and any help I offered earlier will not be honoured, I do not appreciate being slandered in this way

I will sleep well tonight in the knowledge that I have done nothing wrong!
Good luck with removing the post

With regards to cutting the seatpost out which I have had to do twice recently :x , I use a blade that fits a stanley knife handle rather than a hacksaw blade which have far more flex and are a bugger to keep hold of.
You can pick up one of these at your local hardware or diy store and they are long enough to reach down most stuck posts. Take your time and walk away whenever you feel the urge to hit it with a bloody great hammer!

specialized post

Hi mate
Bummer about the post but not to worry you will get without resorting to butchery.
Keep the faith and stay calm.
My latest was to get a friend to hold the bike and a 2 foot set of Stilsens, It killed the post but got it out without any problem. This was on a 88 hardrock that had the one owner from new in a seaside town. It hadnt been serviced for a lot of years either. I had soaked it in penetrating oil for a couple of days but still went with a pop! I thought I had twisted the seat tube off :shock:
This one also had a few taps downward with a mallet, but it was the old style post without a head, just a clamp from the seat to post.
This is the beauty of steel I suppose compared to aluminium type frames. If that was my M2 it probably would have taken the seattube off ;)
Anyway you have lots of ideas so best of luck.
Jamie

Back